Help with my Physics coursework

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggle with writing a physics coursework introduction that requires a historical or social context. The topic is the resistivity of a wire and the student's teacher suggested using a building in America wired with silver, but the student cannot find evidence of it. Another person then mentions the Manhattan Project using silver for wiring electromagnets during World War II, but it was later returned due to its expense. The conversation ends with a student seeking advice on conducting the experiment for their resistivity coursework.
eclipse17
I have a physics coursework introduction to write and I'm pretty much done except for the part that says you have to give a historical/social context.
The topic I'm doing is the resistivity of a wire.
My teacher suggested that there was a building in America that had been wired with a different material (silver) which I could use as context but I can't find it so I'm thinking it doesn't exist :-p
Can anyone help me out with ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Manhattan project (WWII American atomic bomb) used silver (from the federal reserve) for the wiring of the electromagnets because copper was in short supply during the war.

ps. Naturally they got the silver back afterwards! It's a bit expensive to use for regular wiring.
Although the wires inside microchips are made with gold

Last edited:
Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for!

Hi, sorry to bug you, but i am currently doing my courseowrk too, and my teacher told me to do mine on resistivity, but not sure how to conduct the experiment. Should i be measuring the voltage and current, and working out the resistance, to then determine the resistivity?
How do you do it?

Related to Help with my Physics coursework

1. What is the purpose of Physics coursework?

The purpose of Physics coursework is to provide students with a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and laws that govern the physical world. It also aims to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimental skills that are essential for success in the field of physics.

2. How can I get help with my Physics coursework?

There are several ways to get help with your Physics coursework. You can seek assistance from your instructor or teaching assistant during office hours, join a study group with fellow students, or seek help from online resources such as video tutorials, practice problems, and study guides.

3. What topics are typically covered in Physics coursework?

Physics coursework covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. The specific topics covered may vary depending on the level of the course and the curriculum of the institution.

4. How can I improve my grades in Physics coursework?

To improve your grades in Physics coursework, it is important to attend all lectures and actively participate in class discussions. You should also take thorough notes, complete all assignments and practice problems, and seek help when needed. Additionally, reviewing and studying regularly can also significantly improve your understanding and performance in the course.

5. What are some useful resources for Physics coursework?

Some useful resources for Physics coursework include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems and solutions, and study guides. It can also be helpful to join a study group or seek help from your instructor or teaching assistant. Additionally, utilizing other resources such as physics simulations and educational apps can also enhance your understanding of the subject.