Help with negative binomial distributions

In summary, the problem asks to find P(X ≥ 3) for a negative binomial random variable with p = 0.6 and r = 2 or r = 4. According to the teacher, the answers are 0.1792 and 0.45568 respectively. The method of solving is by finding 1 - P(X ≤ 2) and calculating p(2), p(1), and p(0). However, if r = 4, then P(X ≥ 3) equals 1. Finally, the student is advised to ask for clarification from their teacher.
mintsharpie
One of the questions in my probability homework reads:

X denotes a negative binomial random variable, with p = 0.6 Find P(X ≥ 3) for a) r = 2 and b) r = 4.

According to my teacher, the answers are 0.1792 and 0.45568, respectively, but I can't for the life of me figure out how he got them. I tried finding P(X ≥ 3) by turning it into 1 - P(X ≤ 2) and then calculating p(2), p(1), and p(0), but I kept getting 0 for my answer, which obviously isn't correct.

Can someone please help me solve this problem, or explain to me how I would go about solving it? I'm really confused.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mintsharpie said:
One of the questions in my probability homework reads:

X denotes a negative binomial random variable, with p = 0.6 Find P(X ≥ 3) for a) r = 2 and b) r = 4.

According to my teacher, the answers are 0.1792 and 0.45568, respectively, but I can't for the life of me figure out how he got them. I tried finding P(X ≥ 3) by turning it into 1 - P(X ≤ 2) and then calculating p(2), p(1), and p(0), but I kept getting 0 for my answer, which obviously isn't correct.

Can someone please help me solve this problem, or explain to me how I would go about solving it? I'm really confused.

Thanks.

Remember that the negative binomial models the number of Bernoulli trials up to and including the rth success. Therefore [itex]p(x) > 0[/itex] only for [itex]x \ge r[/itex].

If r = 2, then p(0) and p(1) are obviously zero, so your first calculation should just be 1 - p(2), which isn't zero and isn't his answer either. And if r = 4, obviously P(X ≥ 3) = 1 since you can't have 4 successes in less than three trials. Time to ask your teacher what's going on.

Related to Help with negative binomial distributions

1. What is a negative binomial distribution?

A negative binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the number of successes in a series of independent and identically distributed trials before a specified number of failures occur. It is often used to model discrete random variables, such as the number of accidents in a day or the number of customers who make a purchase in a store.

2. How is a negative binomial distribution different from a binomial distribution?

The main difference between a negative binomial distribution and a binomial distribution is that a binomial distribution describes the number of successes in a fixed number of trials, while a negative binomial distribution describes the number of successes before a specified number of failures occur. Additionally, the binomial distribution assumes a fixed probability of success for each trial, while the negative binomial distribution allows for a varying probability of success.

3. What are some real-world applications of the negative binomial distribution?

The negative binomial distribution has many real-world applications, including predicting the number of accidents in a day, estimating the number of customers who make a purchase in a store, and modeling the number of calls received at a call center in a given time period. It can also be used in biology to model the number of offspring produced by a species before a certain number of failures (e.g. death) occur.

4. How do you calculate the mean and variance of a negative binomial distribution?

The mean of a negative binomial distribution is equal to r/p, where r is the number of failures and p is the probability of success. The variance is calculated using the formula (r(1-p))/p^2. Alternatively, you can use statistical software or a calculator to compute these values.

5. Can the negative binomial distribution be used for continuous data?

No, the negative binomial distribution is only applicable to discrete random variables. For continuous data, other probability distributions such as the normal distribution or the exponential distribution may be more appropriate.