Help with Orbital Mechanics: First Post

In summary, a student in a BS in Space Studies program is having difficulty understanding specific angular momentum and calculating orbital elements from state vectors. They are seeking guidance on how to figure out the specific angular momentum, inclination, ascending node vector, and right ascension of the ascending node, and the reasoning behind it. They are also looking for resources to help them better understand these concepts.
Cghnasa
First post here, I'm a student in a BS in Space Studies program and I'm having a little trouble.

I have

R vectors = rI rJ rK
V vectors= vI vJ vK

( I'm not putting in numbers to avoid someone doing my homework for me)

I am having a hard time wraping my brain around getting from that to

a. What is the specific angular momentum of the satellite?
b. What is the satellite's inclination?
c. Calculate the ascending node vector.
d. What is the spacecraft 's right ascension of the ascending node?

Can someone show me how to figure these out and tell me why?
I think by biggest problem is that I want to know why I need to plug this number into that spot in the formula.

Thanks for your help!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Angular momentum is just r×p, where p is the linear momentum vector, p=mv. "Specific" in this case means "divided by mass". Specific angular momentum is thus angular momentum divided by mass, or just r×v.

As for computing Keplerian orbital elements given a state vector, your textbook is the best bet. The specific angular momentum is key in computing several of those elements. If your textbook is inscrutable, perhaps this wikipedia page and the links on it will help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_state_vectors.

Related to Help with Orbital Mechanics: First Post

1. What is orbital mechanics?

Orbital mechanics is a branch of astrodynamics that studies the motion of objects in space, specifically their orbits around celestial bodies such as planets, moons, or stars. It involves understanding the forces, trajectories, and energy required for an object to maintain a stable orbit.

2. How is orbital mechanics used in space missions?

Orbital mechanics is crucial in planning and executing space missions. It is used to calculate the trajectory and necessary propulsion for a spacecraft to reach its desired destination, as well as to maintain a stable orbit once in space. It also helps in predicting and avoiding potential collisions with other objects in orbit.

3. What are the key principles of orbital mechanics?

The key principles of orbital mechanics include the law of gravitation, Kepler's laws of planetary motion, and Newton's laws of motion. These principles help to explain the motion and behavior of objects in space, and they are essential in understanding orbital mechanics.

4. What are some common applications of orbital mechanics?

Some common applications of orbital mechanics include satellite communications, space exploration, and space debris management. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, aerospace engineering, and astrodynamics research.

5. What skills are needed to work in the field of orbital mechanics?

To work in the field of orbital mechanics, one needs a strong background in mathematics and physics, particularly in calculus, mechanics, and celestial mechanics. Knowledge of computer programming and data analysis is also helpful, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Back