Help With Physics Chapter Test - Gwyneth's Desperate Plea

• Thread starter gwynethrosie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary, the person in the conversation is struggling with understanding physics and is looking for help with a homework problem involving acceleration and time. They are advised to learn the definitions and equations to better understand the concepts.
gwynethrosie
I'm in big trouble, I have a Chapter test in Physics tomorrow & I don't get anything that will be on it. I can't answer any of the problems on the hw...I just don't get it. How do people find out the answers to these problems? I'm not one of those people who can spend 1 hour working on a single problem to find the answer, I don't have the time or the patience. Can someone PLEASE tell me that I don't have to do that to actually understand Physics?

One of my homework problems:

A motorcycle has a constant acceleration of 2.5 m/s2. Both the velocity and acceleration of the motocycle point in the same direction. How much time is required for the motorcycle to change its speed from (a) 21 to 31 m/s, and (b) 51 to 61 m/s?

Could somebody please help me work through this problem? I really just don't. know. what. to. do.

:( gwyneth

Physics news on Phys.org
gwynethrosie said:
I'm in big trouble, I have a Chapter test in Physics tomorrow & I don't get anything that will be on it. I can't answer any of the problems on the hw...I just don't get it. How do people find out the answers to these problems? I'm not one of those people who can spend 1 hour working on a single problem to find the answer, I don't have the time or the patience.
You are in big trouble.

Can someone PLEASE tell me that I don't have to do that to actually understand Physics?
It is absolutely the best way to learn and understand physics. It is called.. effort.
One of my homework problems:

A motorcycle has a constant acceleration of 2.5 m/s2. Both the velocity and acceleration of the motocycle point in the same direction. How much time is required for the motorcycle to change its speed from (a) 21 to 31 m/s, and (b) 51 to 61 m/s?

Could somebody please help me work through this problem? I really just don't. know. what. to. do.

:( gwyneth
look at the units of acceleration.

[tex] \frac m {s^2} = \frac m s * \frac 1 s[/tex]

So the acceleration defines the change in velocity in one second. You are given 2 different velocities, how much does the velocity change? How do you compute that change? The acceleration tells you the rate of change, How could you get the time required?

BTW: If you have come here in hopes of finding someone to do your homework, you are going to be disappointed.

Gwyneth - As Integral says, acceleration tells you how much the velocity changes per unit time. In this case, how many m/s it changes every second. In case (a) and case (b), both, you are asked how much time it would take for a 10 m/s change in the velocity.

Try this: You are making $2.50/hour. How many hours would you have to work to make $10?

There is a connection.

The most important thing you can do is learn the definitions! Don't just say to yourself "Oh, yeah, I get that". MEMORIZE the precise words of the definitions.

When you saw the word "acceleration" you should have immediately thought "Okay, acceleration is defined as "change in speed divided by change in time". Then when you saw "change its speed from (a) 21 to 31 m/s" you should think "Okay, the speed changed from 21 to 31 so that's a change of 31-21= 10 m/s. Since the acceleration is 25 m/s2, it must be true that 25= 10/change in time. You can solve that equation to find the actual "change in time", the time it takes to change velocity by that much.

Yes, Integral's suggestion that you look at the units is very good but I recommend that you learn the definitions to start with.

You have to remember this equation [tex] a = \frac{Vf - Vo}{\Delta t} [/tex] where Vf = final speed, Vo = initial speed, a = acceleration, [tex] \Delta t [/tex] = time variation. Maybe Vf and Vo are Sf and So, I don't know.

LinkMage said:
You have to remember this equation [tex] a = \frac{Vf - Vo}{\Delta t} [/tex] where Vf = final speed, Vo = initial speed, a = acceleration, [tex] \Delta t [/tex] = time variation. Maybe Vf and Vo are Sf and So, I don't know.
well, in my school people deal only with differential, not with delta, so we come up only with differential euqations that the students don't know how to solve, so the teachers do it all then give the students the results

Related to Help With Physics Chapter Test - Gwyneth's Desperate Plea

What is "Help With Physics Chapter Test - Gwyneth's Desperate Plea"?

"Help With Physics Chapter Test - Gwyneth's Desperate Plea" is a resource designed to assist students in preparing for a physics chapter test. It provides explanations, practice questions, and tips to help students understand and master the material.

Who can benefit from using "Help With Physics Chapter Test - Gwyneth's Desperate Plea"?

Any student studying physics and preparing for a chapter test can benefit from using this resource. It is particularly helpful for students who may be struggling with the material or need additional practice and support.

What topics does "Help With Physics Chapter Test - Gwyneth's Desperate Plea" cover?

This resource covers a variety of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics. It also includes practice questions and explanations for each topic to help students better understand and prepare for their chapter test.

How can "Help With Physics Chapter Test - Gwyneth's Desperate Plea" help me prepare for my test?

"Help With Physics Chapter Test - Gwyneth's Desperate Plea" provides in-depth explanations of key concepts and practice questions that mirror those found on a typical physics chapter test. By using this resource, students can test their understanding and identify areas where they may need additional review.

Is "Help With Physics Chapter Test - Gwyneth's Desperate Plea" a replacement for studying and attending class?

No, "Help With Physics Chapter Test - Gwyneth's Desperate Plea" is not a replacement for studying and attending class. It is intended to be used as a supplemental resource to aid in understanding and preparing for a physics chapter test. It is important for students to attend class and actively engage with the material in order to fully grasp the concepts and succeed on their test.