Help with pressure differences-sponge and wood

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in pressure readings when using a pressure sensor on a hard surface versus a soft surface. The explanation is that the elasticity of the sponge affects the surface area and thus the pressure distribution, resulting in a lower pressure reading. However, if the same amount of force is applied, the pressure readings should be the same. The compliance of the sponge may also affect the accuracy of the readings.
emz500
hi,i have been doing experiments with individual pressure sensors, while attaching the sensor to my thumb, if i press my thumb onto a hard surface the pressure recorded is very high, but when i push my thumb onto a soft surface, like a sponge i have to press a lot harder to get a high pressure reading. Newtons third law states that every action force has an equal and opposite reaction force, even though i feel I am exerting more pressure when I am pushing the sponge, it does not show this on the pressure readings. Do the varying pressure readings have something to do with the elasticity of the sponge, thus increaseing surface area-pressure disribution is higher??
im a little lost as how to explain this well, sorry.
Any help would be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are these force or pressure transducers?

The compliance of the sponge means that your hand has to travel a farther distance until the sponge creates the required reaction force. Think of the sponge as a spring and [tex]F=kx[/tex]. Really you should not have to exert more force to get an equivalent reading. However, if this is indeed a pressure sensor, there may be an issue with the compliance at the measurement location of the transducer. Since the surface is not completely rigid, you may get some deviation.

thanks for your message. So if i push down on both the hard surface and soft surface equally, i will get a lower pressure reading with the soft surface as i have to push down further with the soft surface in order to equal the reaction force of the hard surface? is that correct? thanks again

If you push down with an equal amount of force, you should get the same reading from your transducer. The key words are "with the same force". If you are applying the same force that means the object you are pushing against is providing the appropriate reaction force. The sponge will make you move your hand farther than the hard material.

There may be a bit of a difference if, at the surface of the transducer, there is a bit of compliance that you can not control. Again, that goes back to if you are using a pressure or force transducer. If you are using a force transducer there shouldn't be a difference.

hi. It is a pressure transducer. i think i understand what is being said. So what would happen if i didnt push my hand in as far into the sponge? the readings would be less compared to hard surface?

Is your finger physicallly touching the sponge? That is the only possible way that you could measure less pressure but apply more force.

Incase of sponge, the area that experiences the force is more and that is why pressure is less. Press the sponge to such an extent that it will not deform and then your pressure reading should be same with that of hard surface.

FAQ: Help with pressure differences-sponge and wood

What is the purpose of a sponge and wood in helping with pressure differences?

The purpose of using a sponge and wood in pressure differences is to create a more stable and uniform pressure when conducting experiments or measuring pressure changes. The sponge acts as a barrier to prevent air from escaping, while the wood helps to evenly distribute pressure.

How does the sponge and wood affect pressure differences?

The sponge and wood work together to create a closed system that minimizes any fluctuations in pressure. This allows for more accurate and precise measurements of pressure changes.

What are some other materials that can be used instead of a sponge and wood for pressure differences?

There are several other materials that can be used to create a closed system and help with pressure differences. Some examples include rubber stoppers, balloons, and plastic bags. The key is to use a material that is flexible and can form a tight seal.

What factors can affect the effectiveness of using a sponge and wood in pressure differences?

The thickness and size of the sponge and wood can greatly impact their effectiveness in creating a closed system. Additionally, the quality and fit of the materials used can also play a role in the accuracy of pressure measurements.

Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a sponge and wood for pressure differences?

It is important to ensure that the materials used are clean and free from any debris or contaminants. Additionally, be cautious when handling any sharp or pointed objects, such as needles, when creating a closed system with a sponge and wood.