Help with Projectile motion- equation problem

In summary, the projectile has a general trajectory which has both y and x coordinates in it,at a certain instant of time "t".
nsola101

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched horizontally with an initial velocity v0 from a height h. If it is assumed that there is no air resistance, which of the following expressions represents the vertical trajectory of the projectile? (A) h–gv0^2/2x^2 (B) h–gv0^2x^2 (C) h-gx^2/2v0^2 (D) h-gx^2/v0^2

Homework Equations

d=vi*t+1/2a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

t=d/v; a=g; d=vi*t+1/2g*(x/v)^2-->d=vi*t+(gx^2/2v^2)--->why is this subtracted from h? Also where does d=vi*t go?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
nsola101 said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched horizontally with an initial velocity v0 from a height h. If it is assumed that there is no air resistance, which of the following expressions represents the vertical trajectory of the projectile? (A) h–gv0^2/2x^2 (B) h–gv0^2x^2 (C) h-gx^2/2v0^2 (D) h-gx^2/v0^2

Homework Equations

d=vi*t+1/2a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

t=d/v; a=g; d=vi*t+1/2g*(x/v)^2-->d=vi*t+(gx^2/2v^2)--->why is this subtracted from h? Also where does d=vi*t go?[/B]

Your equation writing skills are a bit funky, so I might be off base here, for the one question "why is this subtracted from h" draw a picture using vanilla Cartesian coordinates. What direction is the acceleration pointing in? Explain what you're thinking/why you're doing what you're doing as well.

nsola101 said:
t=d/v; a=g; d=vi*t+1/2g*(x/v)^2-->d=vi*t+(gx^2/2v^2)

You are on the right lines but you should take more care writing equations. You appear to be using d for both the horizontal displacement (in the equation t=d/v) and the vertical displacement (eg in the equation d=vi*t+1/2g*(x/v)2)

--->why is this subtracted from h?

The object starts from the position (0, h). If you put x=0 into your equation does it give the answer y=h ?

Also where does d=vi*t go?

Vi is the initial vertical velocity. What is the initial vertical velocity if the object is "launched horizontally"?

is x the horizontal range of your projectile?
UchihaClan13

UchihaClan13 said:
is x the horizontal range of your projectile?
UchihaClan13
It would be the horizontal coordinate at an arbitrary point in the trajectory.

haruspex said:
It would be the horizontal coordinate at an arbitrary point in the trajectory.
Okay so all we need is an equation of trajectory for the projectile or rather the vertical motion of the projectile
Right?
UchihaClan13

UchihaClan13 said:
Okay so all we need is an equation of trajectory for the projectile or rather the vertical motion of the projectile
Right?
UchihaClan13
The trajectory is what it asks for. I don't know why it specifies vertical.
Vertical motion could just mean y as a function of t.

Yes nor do i
A projectile has a general trajectory which has both y and x coordinates in it,at a certain instant of time "t"

UchihaClan13

UchihaClan13 said:
Yes nor do i
A projectile has a general trajectory which has both y and x coordinates in it,at a certain instant of time "t"

UchihaClan13
The term trajectory refers to the shape of the path, without consideration of time.

Perhaps they mention vertical trajectory so you write an equation for y(x) rather x(y) ? Although it's a bit obvious they mean y(x) as they give the answer equation in the problem statement.

i figured the whole thing out
It's easy

did you get an equation connecting y,x,g and v0?

It's easy to see that if x=0 y=h(for the equation of trajectory)
here I consider the point from which the particle is projected as my origin and work accordingly
Now as there's a term for H-something in the options,one can clearly see that the height or the y-coordinate is assumed from the ground to the corresponding x-coordinate
Now all you need is to subtract your equation of trajectory from the initial y-coordinate(which is?/) and voila
You have your answer!
:)

UchihaClan13

Forum rules discourage just giving the answer. That's why we ask leading questions of the OP.

I didn't give the OP the answer
I just gave him a hint

Related to Help with Projectile motion- equation problem

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown and moves along a curved path under the constant force of gravity.

2. What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is y = y0 + v0y*t - (1/2)gt^2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0y is the vertical component of the initial velocity, t is time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do I solve a projectile motion problem?

To solve a projectile motion problem, you will need to know the initial velocity, angle of launch, and height of the object. Then, you can use the equation y = y0 + v0y*t - (1/2)gt^2 to calculate the vertical position of the object at a given time.

4. What is the significance of the angle of launch in projectile motion?

The angle of launch determines the shape and distance of the projectile's path. The optimal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees, while a 90 degree angle results in a vertical path and a 0 degree angle results in a horizontal path.

5. Can I use the same equation for projectile motion on Earth and other planets?

The equation for projectile motion can be used on any planet or celestial body with a constant acceleration due to gravity. However, the value of g will vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force on that planet.