Help with proving that Improper Integral is Divergent

In summary: Ok, I think I now understand your explanation, however would it also be possible to prove this integral is divergent via the Direct Comparison Test? And if it is possible, then how would I prove that the integral is divergent via the Direct Comparison Test?
student93

Homework Statement

The problem is attached in this post.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Lim t -> ∞ ∫ dx/xlnx from 1 to t

u-substitution:

u=lnx
du=1/x dx

Lim t -> ∞ ∫ 1/u du

Lim t -> ∞ ln u

Lim t -> ∞ ln(lnx) from 1 to t

Lim t -> ∞ ln(lnt) - ln(0)

= ∞ - ∞ = 0 (This is incorrect since the answer is that the integral is divergent).

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-03-06 at 1.59.24 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-03-06 at 1.59.24 AM.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
student93 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Lim t -> ∞ ∫ dx/xlnx from 1 to t

u-substitution:

u=lnx
du=1/x dx

Lim t -> ∞ ∫ 1/u du

Lim t -> ∞ ln u

Lim t -> ∞ ln(lnx) from 1 to t

Lim t -> ∞ ln(lnt) - ln(0)

= ∞ - ∞ = 0 (This is incorrect since the answer is that the integral is divergent).

##\ln(1) = 0##, not ##\infty##.

Anyway, never, ever use expressions of the form ##\infty - \infty##; these are meaningless and are illegal in mathematics.

Last edited:
That's true but it's not ln(1), it's ln(ln(1)) which is ln(0), which is equal to ∞, right?

student93 said:
That's true but it's not ln(1), it's ln(ln(1)) which is ln(0), which is equal to ∞, right?

OK, you're right. However, ##\int_a^b dx/(x \ln x) = \ln \ln b - \ln \ln a \to \infty + \infty## as ##a \to 1+## and ##b \to \infty##. As ##a \to 1+##, ##\ln a \to 0+## and so ##\ln \ln a \to -\infty##, or ##-\ln \ln a \to +\infty##.

Ray Vickson said:
OK, you're right. However, ##\int_a^b dx/(x \ln x) = \ln \ln b - \ln \ln a \to \infty + \infty## as ##a \to 1+## and ##b \to \infty##. As ##a \to 1+##, ##\ln a \to 0+## and so ##\ln \ln a \to -\infty##, or ##-\ln \ln a \to +\infty##.

Is there another way to prove that this integral is divergent? (For example, would the Direct Comparison Theorem work in this case?)

Also, why is ∞ + ∞ mathematically allowed, if ∞ - ∞ isn't?

student93 said:
Is there another way to prove that this integral is divergent? (For example, would the Direct Comparison Theorem work in this case?)

Also, why is ∞ + ∞ mathematically allowed, if ∞ - ∞ isn't?

∞ - ∞ is meaningless (along with 0/0, for example). ∞-∞ can be made equal to anything you want---anything from -∞ to +∞ and everything in between. However, ∞+∞ = +∞ is unambiguous. Think about it and you will understand why.

Ray Vickson said:
∞ - ∞ is meaningless (along with 0/0, for example). ∞-∞ can be made equal to anything you want---anything from -∞ to +∞ and everything in between. However, ∞+∞ = +∞ is unambiguous. Think about it and you will understand why.

So ∞-∞ is an Indeterminate Form then right? So can I just L'Hopital's rule to solve for the limit instead of the other method that you showed in your previous post?

student93 said:
So ∞-∞ is an Indeterminate Form then right? So can I just L'Hopital's rule to solve for the limit instead of the other method that you showed in your previous post?

So by using L'Hopital's rule, could I take the derivative of ln(lnx) - ln(ln1) and then try solving for the limit etc.?

Last edited:
student93 said:
So by using L'Hopital's rule, could I take the derivative of ln(lnx) - ln(ln1) and then try solving for the limit etc.?

You keep missing the point: you do not have an indeterminate form, and do not need anything like l'Hospital's rule. I suggest you look much more carefully at what you are doing, and don't rush. Anyway, I already showed you a correct argument, but for some reason you are just not "getting" it.

Ray Vickson said:
You keep missing the point: you do not have an indeterminate form, and do not need anything like l'Hospital's rule. I suggest you look much more carefully at what you are doing, and don't rush. Anyway, I already showed you a correct argument, but for some reason you are just not "getting" it.

Ok, I think I now understand your explanation, however would it also be possible to prove this integral is divergent via the Direct Comparison Test? And if it is possible, then how would I prove that the integral is divergent via the Direct Comparison Test?

Related to Help with proving that Improper Integral is Divergent

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral with one or both of its limits being infinite or the integrand having an infinite discontinuity within the interval of integration.

2. How do you prove that an improper integral is divergent?

To prove that an improper integral is divergent, you can use the limit comparison test, the integral test, or the comparison test. These tests involve comparing the given integral to a known divergent integral, and if the limits are equal, then the integral is also divergent.

3. Can you give an example of an improper integral that is divergent?

Yes, an example of an improper integral that is divergent is: ∫1 1/x dx. This integral diverges because as x approaches infinity, the value of 1/x approaches 0, which is a known divergent integral.

4. What is the importance of proving that an improper integral is divergent?

Proving that an improper integral is divergent is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the integral and allows us to determine if a given function is integrable or not. It also helps us determine the convergence or divergence of a series, which can have practical applications in various fields of science and engineering.

5. Are there any other methods for proving that an improper integral is divergent?

Yes, there are other methods for proving that an improper integral is divergent such as the Cauchy condensation test, the root test, and the ratio test. These tests are based on the convergence or divergence of a series, and can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral.