Help With Radians Conversions (sort of)

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radians
In summary, the conversation discusses creating a list from 0 to 2pi in increments of 0.1 radian, as directed in a homework assignment. The speaker struggles with understanding how to express this in radians and not degrees, and how to include 2pi as an endpoint. The conversation ends with a clarification that the endpoint cannot be included in a list incrementing by 0.1.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Hey

So I have to create a list from 0 to 2 pi in increments of .1 radian. I realized that I had no idea how to do this. It's clear based on what's asked of me that the values in between 0 and 2 pi should be in radians sense the end values are 0 and 2 pi. I know that (180 degrees)/pi = one radian... so if I wanted .1 radian I would simply divide both sides by ten or (18 degrees)/pi = radian/10... well that's just great but is there any way I can represent this in radians and not degrees? Like I need all the values between 0 and 2 pi in radians in increments of .1 radian... 0, radian/10, radian/5 . . . 2 pi

I hope it's clear what I'm trying to do here, I have no idea how to express radian/10 and so forth in radians other than radian/10, I could express that in degrees (18 degrees)/10 = radian/10, but I don't think that is what is expected of me sense the end points are zero and 2 pi... I'm so confused

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, if the end points are 0 and 2pi, then using a rational increment like .1 isn't going to help you. I'd suggest using a multiple of pi as your increment, like pi/12 or pi/9. pi/6 if you just want the basic values.

believe me I want to but my book worded it this way

"Sometimes it is convenient to have a table of sine, cosine, and tangent values
instead of using a calculator. Create a table of all three of these trigonometric
functions for angles from 0 to 2pi, with a spacing of 0.1 radian. Your table
should contain a column for the angle and then the sine, cosine, and tangent."

I'm learning how to use MATLAB but it's not really a question about programming just the math behind it

hence I am at a lost as to what to do =(

Hmm... if I were making a table like this, I'd label the first column radians and then just list 0, .1, .2, .3 and the like. That would probably be the easiest way to do what I assume you're trying to do (and I might be wrong).

GreenPrint said:
So I have to create a list from 0 to 2 pi in increments of .1 radian.

Easy enough. Start at 0 and add 0.1 to get each successive value in the list. Note that 2*pi in decimal is approximately 6.28, so the list would have to terminate at 6.2 radians (the next item, 6.3 radians, being larger than the upper limit).

Code:
angle (radians)

That's it.

GreenPrint said:
I realized that I had no idea how to do this. It's clear based on what's asked of me that the values in between 0 and 2 pi should be in radians sense the end values are 0 and 2 pi. I know that (180 degrees)/pi = one radian... so if I wanted .1 radian I would simply divide both sides by ten or (18 degrees)/pi = radian/10... well that's just great but is there any way I can represent this in radians and not degrees? Like I need all the values between 0 and 2 pi in radians in increments of .1 radian... 0, radian/10, radian/5 . . . 2 pi

I hope it's clear what I'm trying to do here, I have no idea how to express radian/10 and so forth in radians other than radian/10, I could express that in degrees (18 degrees)/10 = radian/10, but I don't think that is what is expected of me sense the end points are zero and 2 pi... I'm so confused

I have no idea what you are doing here. It doesn't make any sense to me. You don't have to worry about the conversion factor between radians and degrees, since you're keeping everything in radians. I'm not sure what "radian/10" means.

Was I misreading the english?

I was trying to express .1 radian in a form that I could use in my chart and start from 0 and go up to 2 pi, hence I use radian/10, which didn't do me a thing

Okay, I looked at what you wrote more closely:

GreenPrint said:
I hope it's clear what I'm trying to do here, I have no idea how to express radian/10 and so forth in radians other than radian/10,

It's already IN radians, so I'm not sure why you would feel the need to do anything else with it. I mean, you could express it variously as:

"a tenth of a radian"

"1/10 radians"

"0.1 radians"

etc. In MATLAB, you'll enter it as a decimal number 0.1

GreenPrint said:
I could express that in degrees (18 degrees)/10 = radian/10, but I don't think that is what is expected of me sense the end points are zero and 2 pi... I'm so confused

No, they don't want you to express it in degrees. And since 2pi isn't a multiple of 0.1, it cannot actually be included as an endpoint in a list that increments by values of 0.1. So if you interpret the instructions to mean, "create a list that spans the range from 0 to 2pi inclusive in increments of 0.1", then yes, that is impossible.

GreenPrint said:
Was I misreading the english?

I don't think so. Perhaps the exclusion of the endpoint is what was confusing you?

hmm you I guess so thanks for helping me better understand that I read it as one tenth of a radian, which I wasn't exactly sure what that meant

FAQ: Help With Radians Conversions (sort of)

What is a radian and why is it used in trigonometry?

A radian is a unit of measurement for angles. It is equal to the angle formed at the center of a circle by an arc whose length is equal to the radius of the circle. Radians are used in trigonometry because they allow for more accurate and convenient calculations in many applications, such as determining the length of an arc or the area of a sector.

How do you convert between radians and degrees?

To convert from degrees to radians, multiply the number of degrees by π/180. To convert from radians to degrees, multiply the number of radians by 180/π.

Is there an easy way to remember the conversion factor between degrees and radians?

Yes, there is a simple phrase that can help you remember the conversion factor: "Some People Have Extra Nice Thoughts" which stands for the fractions 180/π, π/180, 180/π, and π/180 respectively.

Can you convert between radians and other units of angle measurement?

Yes, radians can be converted to other units of angle measurement, such as minutes and seconds, using the same conversion factor as degrees (60 minutes in a degree, 60 seconds in a minute). However, radians are typically used in trigonometry and calculus, while degrees are more commonly used in everyday situations.

How can radians be used to measure the arc length of a circle?

The formula for arc length is s = rθ, where s is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the angle in radians. By using radians instead of degrees, this formula becomes simpler and more accurate. For example, an angle of π/2 radians would have an arc length of half the circle's circumference, while an angle of π radians would have an arc length equal to the circumference of the circle.