Help with Tension Homework: Calculate Net Upward Force & Tension

• Thread starter saber1357
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the helicopter lifts a truck with an upward acceleration of 1.4 m/s2. The net upward force on the helicopter blades is due to the actual forces acting on the system, which are the force of gravity, upward acceleration, and tension in the cable between the helicopter and the truck.
saber1357

Homework Statement

A 15,000 kg helicopter lifts a 4500 kg truck with an upward acceleration of 1.4 m/s2. Calculate (a) the net upward force on the helicopter blades from the air and (b) the tension in the cable between helicopter and truck.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F = (m1+m2)a

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to even begin. Calculating the net upward force, I understand that an upward acceleration is given and that can be simply plugged into F=ma, however, what about gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
In F=ma, F stands for the net force. What forces act on the helicopter? I count three.

Aha! So you can simply add the force of gravity, upward acceleration, and tension together?

The "upward acceleration" is not a force, but is the result of all those forces acting. You mentioned gravity and tension--what's the third force on the helicopter? (Yes you can add up all the forces.)

Ah woah, if the upward acceleration doesn't produce the third force, then what does?

saber1357 said:
Ah woah, if the upward acceleration doesn't produce the third force, then what does?
The air! (Acceleration is not a force!) As a result of those three forces, there's a net force which produces an upward acceleration. Obviously, the upward force of the air must be larger than the sum of the two downward forces.

You might also want to analyze the forces on the truck.

But isn't a force created due to the upward acceleration..? F=ma, with "a" being this upward acceleration?
Do the forces have to be analyzed separately for the truck? I thought I could just add the mass of the truck to the helicopter.

saber1357 said:
But isn't a force created due to the upward acceleration..? F=ma, with "a" being this upward acceleration?
The fact that there's an upward acceleration allows you to deduce that there's a net upward force on the helicopter. That net force is due to the actual forces acting on the system. (Real forces have agents: things that exert the force.)

Do the forces have to be analyzed separately for the truck? I thought I could just add the mass of the truck to the helicopter.
You are welcome to treat the helicopter + truck as a single combined "object", but that will not allow you to figure out the tension. But you can use it to find the force due to the air. (Realize that the rope tension acts on both helicopter and truck, so if you treat them as a single object, the tension cancels out.)

Gotcha! I really appreciate all the help you provided.
You are the thx.
<3
(If you ever need help finding someone to ask you loads of physics questions, I'm your man)

FAQ: Help with Tension Homework: Calculate Net Upward Force & Tension

What is tension in physics?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or wire when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is a type of force that pulls on an object, rather than pushing or twisting it.

How do you calculate net upward force?

The net upward force can be calculated by adding together all the upward forces acting on an object and subtracting the downward forces. This is represented by the formula Fnet = ΣFup - ΣFdown, where ΣFup is the sum of all upward forces and ΣFdown is the sum of all downward forces.

How do you calculate tension in a rope?

To calculate tension in a rope, you need to know the mass of the object being pulled, the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and the angle at which the rope is being pulled. The formula for tension is T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

What is the difference between tension and weight?

Tension is a type of force that pulls on an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Tension can be applied in any direction, while weight always acts downwards towards the center of the earth.

How do you use tension to find the acceleration of an object?

To use tension to find the acceleration of an object, you can rearrange the formula for tension (T = mg + ma) to solve for acceleration (a = (T - mg)/m). This will give you the acceleration of the object in the direction of the tension force.