Help with textbook question -- Where did the factor of 2 come from?

• Thread starter Julia Coggins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Biot-Savart Law to calculate the magnetic field strength of a current-carrying wire, specifically in the context of a 1 m long, 1.0 mm diameter nichrome heater wire connected to a 12 V battery. The book uses μ/2π instead of μ/4π in the Biot-Savart Law equation, which leads to a different result. The conversation also mentions the preceding example and how they evaluated the integral using l'Hopital's rule. However, the person speaking does not have access to Wolfram Alpha Pro and needs to brush up on their calculus.
Julia Coggins
moved into h/w help, so template is missing
From "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Randall D. Knight page 1006. A 1 m long, 1.0 mm diameter nichrome heater wire is connected to a 12 V battery. Find the magnetic field strength 1 cm away from the wire. This problem is solved in the book, but they calculate the magnetic field with: μ/2π instead of μ/4π that is in the Biot-Savart Law. Everything else in my calculations was correct, so I'm wondering why they used this? The full equation they used is: B=μ/2π(I/d) related from the Biot Savart Law for a current carrying wire B ={μ/4π}{IΔs×r/r^2} the 'r' in the numerator is the direction of r not the magnitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you see the preceding example (continued onto the top of page 1006)
where they used Biot-Savart to obtain the equation for B_wire?

Reading it now. I don't understand how they evaluated that integral?

Unfortunately I don't have wolfram alpha pro, I do need to brush up on my calc though. Isn't L'hopitals rules dealing with indefinite integrals like this one?

FAQ: Help with textbook question -- Where did the factor of 2 come from?

1. Where did the factor of 2 come from in the textbook question?

The factor of 2 in this textbook question likely came from the mathematical concept of symmetry. In many cases, symmetrical systems or equations will have a factor of 2 included in their solution or final answer.

2. Is the factor of 2 necessary in the textbook question?

It depends on the specific problem and context. In some cases, the factor of 2 may be necessary for an accurate solution, while in others it may not be needed. It is important to carefully consider the problem and any relevant mathematical principles to determine if the factor of 2 is necessary.

3. Can the factor of 2 be simplified or reduced?

It may be possible to simplify or reduce the factor of 2 in some cases, but it ultimately depends on the specific problem and mathematical principles involved. It is important to carefully follow the steps and rules outlined in the textbook to arrive at an accurate solution.

4. Why is the factor of 2 important in this problem?

The factor of 2 may be important in this problem because it could represent a key relationship or property within the system or equation being studied. It is important to carefully consider the significance of the factor of 2 in relation to the problem at hand.

5. How can I determine if a factor of 2 is needed in a problem?

The best way to determine if a factor of 2 is needed in a problem is to carefully read and understand the question, consider any relevant mathematical principles or concepts, and follow the steps outlined in the textbook or provided by the instructor. It may also be helpful to consult with a teacher or tutor for additional guidance.

Back