Help with thermodynamics problem

In summary: I am new to it. In summary, the air is compressed adiabatically from 1 atm to 13 atm by two stages, and the work done is minimized when the pressure between the two stages is equal to the square root of the product of those two pressures.
Deathcrush

Homework Statement

Hi I would like you guys to help me with this problem

Air is to be compressed steadily and isentropically from 1 atm to 25 atm by a two-stage compressor. To minimize the total compression work, the intermediate pressure between the two stages must be
(a) 3 atm (b) 5 atm (c) 8 atm (d) 10 atm (e) 13 atm

Homework Equations

P=sqrt(P1*P2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that this pressure can be calculated with the square root of the product of those two pressures, however, i want to know where that equation comes from

thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cmon, help me, please, how do you obtain that equation?

Deathcrush said:

Homework Statement

Hi I would like you guys to help me with this problem

Air is to be compressed steadily and isentropically from 1 atm to 25 atm by a two-stage compressor. To minimize the total compression work, the intermediate pressure between the two stages must be

Homework Equations

P=sqrt(P1*P2)
!
If there is any savings of work by doing it in two stages, the heat from the first compression has to be removed. So compress it to 1/5 of original volume (adiabatic), remove the heat and then adiabatically compress it further to 1/5 of this compressed state.

You should be able to show that if you do it any other way (eg. compress 1/2 then 1/12.5, or vice versa) you will end up doing more work. Write out the mathematical expression for work for the first compression to V1 + work for the second compression to Vf. You have to use the adiabatic condition (T and V) for each compression with a reduction in temperature to initial temperature after the first compression. When is the work a minimum?

AM

yeah, well, what i am interested in , is in finding how can I get that equation listed above, I had thought in deriving the equation for the sum of work in each phase, and finding the minimum value, however i can't set the whole thing to get that equation. Can I consider the air as an ideal gas? or how else can I get an equation P to integrate

Deathcrush said:
yeah, well, what i am interested in , is in finding how can I get that equation listed above, I had thought in deriving the equation for the sum of work in each phase, and finding the minimum value, however i can't set the whole thing to get that equation. Can I consider the air as an ideal gas? or how else can I get an equation P to integrate
Use the adiabatic condition for the first stage from V0 to V1:

[tex]T_0V_0^{(\gamma-1)} = T_1V_1^{(\gamma-1)}[/tex]

Since it is adiabatic, the work done is equal to the change in internal energy: [itex]W = nC_v\Delta T[/itex]

Do the same for the second stage. Then show that the minimum value for total Work is when V2/V1 = V1/V0 (ie. [itex]V_1 = \sqrt{V_2V_0}[/itex]).

AM

I think I'm getting it, I would thank you if you could recommend me some reading about this

Last edited:

Related to Help with thermodynamics problem

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature, and how these factors affect physical systems.

What is a thermodynamics problem?

A thermodynamics problem is a question or scenario that involves the application of thermodynamic principles and equations to solve for unknown variables or understand the behavior of a system.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in physical systems. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy (disorder) of an isolated system always increases. The third law states that the entropy of a pure, perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

How do I solve a thermodynamics problem?

To solve a thermodynamics problem, you must first identify the system of interest and draw a diagram to represent it. Then, apply the appropriate thermodynamic equations and principles to the system and solve for the unknown variables. It is important to carefully track units and follow the correct sign conventions.

What are some common thermodynamics equations?

Some common thermodynamics equations include the ideal gas law (PV = nRT), the first law of thermodynamics (ΔU = Q - W), and the second law of thermodynamics (ΔS = Qrev/T). Other equations may include specific heat capacity, work done by a gas, and efficiency of a heat engine.