Help with this integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn

RahSuh
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: Am stuck on an integral at the bottom of page 34

Hi - I am working thru (by myself) the small textbook by Bohn on Analytical Mechanics. Its very good but am stuck on Page 34, at the bottom. It concerns the "action" of a simple pendulum - I understand the math concept of action as Bohn . I just dont understand how he gets the integral works. ie in the snip attached how he gets from the first line of the integral for A to the second line. The integral looks really, really messy. Any help appreciated. (the book is very, very good - so far!)
BohnPage34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's the integral ##\int_{u}^{v} \sqrt{a-bx^2} {}dx ## which is even handled in high-school mathematics (at least where I live).

Likes TSny and MatinSAR
That it has a lot of constants doesn’t really make it much more difficult. In the end, the integrand is on the form ##\sqrt{A - B\phi^2}##.

Likes TSny, Delta2 and MatinSAR
You will also need to know the relation between ##E## and ##\phi_0##.

• Love
Likes hutchphd and Delta2
here is the result of indefinite integral according to wolfram. It is quite messy and its gonna be even messier if you replace constants a and b with the combined constants you have in your expression.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=integral+of+\sqrt(a-b\phi^2)+d\phi

if you want to understand the inner workings of calculating this integral, first see that it is the same as $$\sqrt{a} \int\sqrt{1-k^2\phi^2} d\phi$$ for $$ k=\sqrt\frac{b}{a}$$ and then use the substitution $$\phi=\frac{1}{k}\sin \theta$$ to do integration by substitution.

That is gonna be a good practice for you, not only in calculus but in trigonometric identities too.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz and TSny

Related to Help with this integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn

What is the integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn?

The integral on page 34 of Analytical Mechanics by John Bohn is typically a complex integral related to classical mechanics problems. Without the exact text, I can't specify the integral, but it often involves functions of time, position, or momentum.

How do I approach solving the integral on page 34?

To solve the integral, start by identifying the type of integral it is (definite or indefinite). Look for any symmetries or substitutions that can simplify the integral. If it involves trigonometric functions, consider using trigonometric identities. If it's a complex integral, partial fraction decomposition or integration by parts might be useful.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving this integral?

Common mistakes include incorrect substitution, overlooking limits of integration in definite integrals, and algebraic errors during simplification. Ensure you carefully follow each step and double-check your work.

Can I use numerical methods to solve the integral on page 34?

Yes, if the integral is too complex to solve analytically, numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or more advanced numerical integration techniques can be used to approximate the value of the integral.

Where can I find additional resources to help with this integral?

Additional resources can include other textbooks on analytical mechanics, online forums like Stack Exchange, educational websites, and academic papers. Consulting with a professor or a tutor who specializes in mechanics can also provide valuable insights.