Help with vector space of real value functions

In summary: I don't know how to make this any clearer.In summary, the problem involves verifying if a set of real-valued functions, defined everywhere on the real line and with the operations of addition and scalar multiplication, satisfies all closure axioms. These axioms require that sums and scalar multiples of functions in the set remain in the set. Additionally, the set must contain a function that acts as an additive identity and has a function that when added to another function produces the additive identity. The validity of these axioms can be shown by using algebraic properties of real numbers.
physicssss

Homework Statement

The set of all real-valued functions f defined everywhere on the real line and such that f(4) = 0, with the operations (f+g)(x)=f(x)+g(x) and (kf)(x)=kf(x)
verify if all axioms hold true.

Homework Equations

Axioms 1 and 6 These closure axioms require that if we add two functions that are defined at each x in the interval , then sums and scalar multiples of those functions are also defined at each x in the interval.

Axiom 4 This axiom requires that there exists a function 0 in , which when added to any other function f in produces f back again as the result. The function, whose value at every point x in the interval is zero, has this property. Geometrically, the graph of the function 0 is the line that coincides with the x-axis.

Axiom 5 This axiom requires that for each function fin there exists a function —f in , which when added to f produces the function 0. The function defined by has this property. The graph of can be obtained by reflecting the graph of f about the x-axis

Axioms 2,3,7,8,9,10 The validity of each of these axioms follows from properties of real numbers. For example, if f and g are functions in , then Axiom 2 requires that . This follows from the computation
(f+g)(x)=f(x)+g(x)=g(x)+f(x)=(g+f)(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't find a good example in my textbook so I kinda don't know how to start this problem. Help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know which numbers are which axioms but I will give you a hint on getting started. To show closure under addition you have to start with f and g in your set and show f + g is in your set. Obviously if f and g are functions on R then so is f+g. The only question is whether (f+g)(4) = 0. Does it? Etc.

Thanks for trying to help LCKurtz. I still don't quite understand it though.
(f+g)(4)=f(4)+g(4)=0? I don't know what to use for f or g equation wise so I don't know how I'm suppose to plug in 4.

physicssss said:
Thanks for trying to help LCKurtz. I still don't quite understand it though.
(f+g)(4)=f(4)+g(4)=0? I don't know what to use for f or g equation wise so I don't know how I'm suppose to plug in 4.

Your set of functions are any real valued functions on R with the property that f(4) = 0. So if you start with f and g in your set, you are given that f(4)=0 and g(4)= 0 because that is what your set is. If you want to know if their sum is in your set you have to check if the sum's value at 4 is 0.

FAQ: Help with vector space of real value functions

1. What is a vector space of real value functions?

A vector space of real value functions is a set of functions that satisfy certain properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication. These functions can be thought of as vectors in a high-dimensional space, where each function represents a different direction or dimension.

2. What are some examples of real value functions?

Examples of real value functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions. These functions take in a real number as input and output another real number.

3. How is the dimension of a vector space of real value functions determined?

The dimension of a vector space of real value functions is determined by the number of independent functions in the set. This means that the dimension is equal to the number of functions that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of the other functions in the set.

4. What is the importance of vector spaces in mathematics and science?

Vector spaces are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to represent and manipulate complex systems in a more organized and systematic way. They also provide a powerful framework for solving problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. How can vector spaces of real value functions be used in practical applications?

Vector spaces of real value functions have many practical applications, such as in signal processing, image and audio compression, and machine learning. They can also be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as population growth, economic trends, and physical systems.