Help's question at Yahoo Answers regarding quadratic modeling

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance from the nearest pillar to place an extra support for a suspension bridge with a parabolic cable of height 55 m and span 40 m. By setting up a function to model the cable and using given points, the parameter a is determined to be 1/8. Solving for the desired distance from the vertex, the resulting value is approximately 5.85786437626905 m.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Pre-calculus, parabola problem?

A cable of a suspension bridge is attached to two pillars of height 55 m and has the shape of a parabola whose span is 40 m. the roadway is 5 m below the lowest point of the cable. If an extra support is to be placed where the cable is 30 m above the ground level, find the distance from the nearest pillar where the support is to be placed.

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello help,

Let's orient our coordinate axes such that the origin is at the point 5 m below the vertex, or lowest point, of the cable. We know the axis of symmetry will be the $y$ axis, and we know the cable passes through the point $(0,5)$, and so we may write the function $c(x)$ that models the cable with:

\(\displaystyle c(x)=ax^2+5\)

Now, because the span between two pilalrs is 40 m., we therefore also know the cable passes through the point $(20,55)$, and so with this point, we may determine the parameter $a$:

\(\displaystyle c(20)=a(20)^2+5=400a+5=55\)

\(\displaystyle 400a=50\)

\(\displaystyle a=\frac{1}{8}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle c(x)=\frac{1}{8}x^2+5\)

Now, we want to find the $x$ value(s) such that $c(x)=30$:

\(\displaystyle 30=\frac{1}{8}x^2+5\)

\(\displaystyle x^2=200\)

We need only use the positive root by symmetry:

\(\displaystyle x=\sqrt{200}=10\sqrt{2}\)

Now, to find the distance from this value for $x$ and $20$, we simply subtract the $x$-value from 20 to get:

\(\displaystyle d=20-10\sqrt{2}=10\left(2-\sqrt{2} \right)\approx5.85786437626905\)

Here is a diagram of the parabolic function modeling the cable, and the added pillar along with the preexisting pillar:

View attachment 1419

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 46

Related to Help's question at Yahoo Answers regarding quadratic modeling

1. How do I create a quadratic model for my data?

To create a quadratic model, you will need to have a set of data points that follow a quadratic pattern. Then, you can use a mathematical equation or software to fit a quadratic curve to your data points. This curve will represent your quadratic model.

2. What is the purpose of quadratic modeling?

The purpose of quadratic modeling is to represent and analyze data that follows a quadratic pattern. This can help in making predictions, identifying trends, and understanding relationships between variables.

3. What is the difference between a linear and quadratic model?

A linear model represents data with a straight line, while a quadratic model represents data with a curved line. Linear models are used for data that follows a linear pattern, while quadratic models are used for data that follows a quadratic pattern.

4. How do I determine the best fit for my quadratic model?

To determine the best fit for your quadratic model, you can use a method called least squares regression. This involves finding the line of best fit that minimizes the sum of the squared differences between the actual data points and the predicted values from the model.

5. Can I use a quadratic model for non-mathematical data?

Yes, you can use a quadratic model for any type of data that follows a quadratic pattern, not just mathematical data. This can include data from various fields such as social sciences, economics, and natural sciences.