Which Actions Increase N2 Concentration in Water?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking which actions can increase the concentration of N_{2}(g) in a closed rigid container containing distilled water at equilibrium. The correct answer is choice (C) - injecting more N_{2}(g) into the container. This is because shaking the container will not affect the equilibrium since it is already at equilibrium, and raising the temperature of the water will actually decrease the solubility of N_{2}(g). Therefore, the only way to increase the concentration of N_{2}(g) is by injecting more of it into the container.
Bipolarity

Homework Statement

A closed rigid container contains distilled water
and [itex]N_{2}(g)[/itex] at equilibrium. Actions that would
inctease the concentration of [itex]N_{2}(g)[/itex] in the
water include which of the following?
I. Shaking the container vigorously
II. Raising the temperature of the water
III. Injecting more [itex]N_{2}(g)[/itex] into the container
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II, and III

Homework Equations

- Henry's law states that more pressure means more solubility but don't know if that works here.
- We could try Le chatelier's principle

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I'm not very sure what the question is asking. The answer happens to be choice (C) but I can't figure my way around it. When I answered it initially, I wrote down A but no clue why it should be C. Is the question asking about the solubility of nitrogen gas in the water, or something else? Surely if you add gas, the concentration of the gas must increase even if equilibrium tries to consume some of it, the net change of the gas's concentration will still be positive right? So I know that III is definitely true, but I can't seem to work out I and II. I feels right, since shaking it should increase pressure?

I appreciate any help on this question. Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Shaking can speed up reaching equilibrium, but you are told you already are at the equilibrium, so shaking doesn't matter.

Solubility of gases lowers with temperature.

Related to Which Actions Increase N2 Concentration in Water?

What is Henry's Law?

Henry's Law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the concentration of a gas dissolved in a liquid and the partial pressure of that gas in the surrounding atmosphere. It states that the amount of gas that can dissolve in a liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas.

What is the equilibrium constant for Henry's Law?

The equilibrium constant for Henry's Law is known as the Henry's Law constant, or KH. It is a measure of the solubility of a gas in a specific liquid at a given temperature and pressure. It is typically expressed in units of mol/L-atm.

How is Henry's Law used in chemistry?

Henry's Law is used in chemistry to understand and predict the solubility of gases in liquids. It is often used in environmental chemistry to study the movement and fate of gases in natural systems, such as the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide in bodies of water.

What factors influence Henry's Law?

The solubility of a gas in a liquid according to Henry's Law is influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical properties of the gas and liquid. For example, gases with stronger intermolecular forces are typically more soluble in liquids.

What are the limitations of Henry's Law?

While Henry's Law is a useful tool for predicting gas solubility, it has some limitations. It assumes ideal behavior of both the gas and liquid, and does not take into account factors such as non-ideal mixtures or chemical reactions between the gas and liquid. It also does not accurately predict the solubility of highly soluble gases or gases with complex structures.