Here are some astrophotos I've taken lately

• Thread starter scott mcleod jr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about astrophotography and the participants share their recent photos and equipment used. They also give advice on living in areas with optimal weather conditions for astrophotography. They discuss different techniques and equipment for capturing photos of the moon, Jupiter, and M42. They also share resources and software for astrophotography.
scott mcleod jr
Likes PFuser1232, berkeman, davenn and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Really nice photos! I like the Milky Way and the aurora! What equipment are you using?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Really nice photos! I like the Milky Way and the aurora! What equipment are you using?
Aurora was an accident lol. I was messing with star trails and i noticed i had about five shots like that.

Canon 5dmii on tripod for the aurora.
And the milky way was with my barndoor tracker with 5dmii 21 x 3 min shots at 6400 iso using 17mm f/4 lens edited in Lightroom and Photoshop stacked in starstax.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
scott mcleod jr said:
Aurora was an accident lol. I was messing with star trails and i noticed i had about five shots like that.

And the milky way was with my barndoor tracker with 5dmii 21 x 3 min shots at 6400 iso using 17mm f/4 lens edited in Lightroom and Photoshop stacked in starstax.

Attachments

• 20150216_234253.jpg
    20150216_234253.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 463
scott mcleod jr said:

scott mcleod jr said:
Lets talk astrophotos. Anyone got some amazing shots or good advice

My advice is to not live where it is extremely cold and cloudy for 4 months. Orion has been teasing me all winter...

Likes scott mcleod jr
Andy Resnick said:
My advice is to not live where it is extremely cold and cloudy for 4 months. Orion has been teasing me all winter...
I moved to the desert of eastern wa from Bellingham on the coast (cloudiest city in the continental us) I feel your pain ☺

great collection of pix there, Scott. You are off to a fine start :)
looking forward to seeing more from you as time goes bycheers
Dave

Likes scott mcleod jr
Tonight the clouds parted and I bundled up to get some pics of Orion and the nebula- I'll stack them tomorrow, while I'm cleaning all the condensate off of my lenses and sensor. Here's some single-frame images- not the best, but whatevs...

with the 85mm, near full-frame:
DSC03084_zpsbmmrgu2s.jpg

at 400mm, zoomed in about 80%:
DSC03167_filtered_zpsvplqx1xy.jpg

the moon, shining brightly (800mm, 100%)
DSC03191_zps7sj6orh5.jpg

and Jupiter, nearby (also 800mm)
DSC03199_zpsf8iruc1y.jpg

Likes SmokeyMTNJim and davenn
good stuff, Andy :)

I did a moon shot a few nights ago, the moon is too bright to photo anything else LOL ...
800mm (100-400mm with x2 teleconverter), f11, 2500 ISO, 1/320 sec

2015_02_28_3156-1a.jpg
cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Very nice

Here's the results after stacking... much improvement.

85mm_zpscgqv4gov.jpg

orion2.TIF%20RGB_zpswmazjxoi.jpg

Likes PFuser1232 and davenn
simply awesome. I want to try to get m42 but my tracker has been acting crazy lately

That's nice Andy, well done :)

Last night was a bit warmer, so I could stay out longer- here's two crops of the same object (M42), about 12 minutes total integration time at 800/5.6, ISO 1250:

Composite.tif%20RGB_filtered-1_zpskhkg5ie5.jpg

and at 100%:

Composite.tif%20RGB_filtered-2_zpsbgluw6qs.jpg

M42 reminds me of a Shadow battle crab...

Likes davenn and Greg Bernhardt
Nice pics - astrophotos are something I want to start doing, particularly time exposures, time lapse & a combo of both. I've got some passable moon shots with my Pentax K10D with a 250mm lens and my NEX-5N with a 200mm - but that's about it.

I purchased a Tempus/Astrus time lapse trigger that will take a predetermined # of long exposure images, but haven't been able to figure out how to best use the manual focus on the NEX-5. I've also got the time lapse app for the A5100 my wife uses, but have yet to try it.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks Chronos

Looks interesting, haven't seen that one before

Dave

Related to Here are some astrophotos I've taken lately

1. What equipment do you use to take these astrophotos?

I use a DSLR camera with a telephoto lens, a tripod, and a remote shutter release to take these astrophotos. I also use a star tracker for long exposure shots.

2. How do you edit these astrophotos?

I use editing software such as Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom to enhance the colors and details of the astrophotos. I also use stacking techniques to reduce noise and improve overall image quality.

3. What tips do you have for beginners interested in astrophotography?

My advice for beginners is to start with a DSLR camera and a tripod, and practice taking long exposure shots of the night sky. Experiment with different settings and techniques, and don't be afraid to try new things. Also, make sure to research the best times and locations for astrophotography, and always be patient and persistent.

4. How do you find the best locations for astrophotography?

I use various apps and websites such as Dark Sky Finder and PhotoPills to find locations with low light pollution and good visibility of the night sky. I also scout out potential locations during the day to ensure safety and accessibility at night.

5. Can you see these objects with the naked eye or do you need a telescope?

Some of the objects in these astrophotos, such as the moon and certain constellations, can be seen with the naked eye. However, for more detailed and distant objects like galaxies and nebulae, a telescope or binoculars would be needed to see them clearly.