Hermite representation for integrals?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the expectation value of a harmonic oscillator wavefunction using the Hermite polynomial of nth degree in an integral. The link provided shows a representation of the polynomial, but the purpose is unclear. The expert suggests that using just H_n (x) in the integral is sufficient. The conversation also discusses the possibility of writing the integral using separate integrals for z, x, and y.
Mniazi
Suppose I want an expectation value of a harmonic oscillator wavefunction, then in what way will I write the Hermite polynomial of nth degree into the integral? I have a link of the representation, but don't know what to do with them? http://dlmf.nist.gov/18.3

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need the explicit form inside the integral? Leaving just H_n (x) is more than enough.

This gives you the first few...
http://www.bsu.edu/libraries/virtualpress/mathexchange/07-01/HermitePolynomials.pdf

ok If I have a integral like $$\int_{-\inf}^{\inf}{z*x*y}$$

then can I write them seperately as:

$$\int_{-\inf}^{\inf}{z}*\int_{-\inf}^{\inf}{x}*\int_{-\inf}^{\inf}{y}$$

Related to Hermite representation for integrals?

1. What is a Hermite representation for integrals?

A Hermite representation for integrals is a mathematical technique used to approximate integrals, or the area under a curve, by using a series of Hermite polynomials. The Hermite polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that can be used to express a function as a sum of simpler functions, making them useful for approximating integrals.

2. Why is a Hermite representation useful for integrals?

A Hermite representation is useful for integrals because it allows for a more accurate and efficient approximation of integrals compared to other methods, such as using a single polynomial. This is because the Hermite polynomials are specifically designed to minimize error and can be adjusted to fit different types of integrals.

3. How does a Hermite representation work?

A Hermite representation works by expressing a function as a sum of Hermite polynomials multiplied by a set of coefficients. These coefficients can be calculated using a specific formula, or they can be determined by solving a system of equations. The resulting representation can then be used to approximate integrals by plugging in values for the coefficients.

4. What are the benefits of using a Hermite representation for integrals?

Aside from being more accurate and efficient, using a Hermite representation for integrals also allows for greater flexibility in the choice of integration points. This means that the approximation can be adjusted to fit the specific needs of the problem at hand. Additionally, the Hermite polynomials have well-defined properties that make them useful for a variety of integrals, including those with discontinuities or singularities.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Hermite representation for integrals?

While a Hermite representation can provide more accurate approximations compared to other methods, it may not always be the best choice for certain types of integrals. In particular, it may not perform well for integrals with rapidly oscillating functions or those with a high degree of smoothness. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease for integrals with a large number of variables.