Hermitian Properties of Matrices with Differential Operators

In summary, the question asks whether the given matrices are hermitian, anti-hermitian, or neither. For part a) it is assumed that x^2 is hermitian, while for part b) it is shown that xp is not hermitian due to an extra constant. Therefore, xp can't be measured in the lab.
ma18

Homework Statement

Are the following matrices hermitian, anti-hermitian or neither

a) x^2

b) x p = x (hbar/i) (d/dx)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I assume it is hermitian because it is just x^2 and you can just move it to get from <f|x^2 g> to <f x^2|g> but I am not sure how to do it for b) because there is the x term and the d/dx term I can't just differntiate it like normal for these problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ma18, I agree with a part, if your functions are in configuration space yes x^2 as an operator is real and multiplies your function.
About b part here's my proposed solution, I hope to help you :)

<f | i x d/dx | g>= ∫ f* (i x dg/dx) dx Now we use the commutator

[x,p]g=ihbar g= -ihbar x dg/dx +ihbar d(gx)/dx
And replace in the integral,, the ihbar x dg/dx =ihbar d(gx)/dx - ihbar g
So you have
=i hbar ( ∫ f* ( d(gx)/dx ) dx - ∫ f* g dx)
the integral of f*g is one (1), if the functions are normalized or a constant if they are not. suppose now that they are normalized.
so now you apply integration by parts in the first integral setting f* as u and d(gx)/dx as v. And you have

= i hbar ∫ df*/dx g x dx -i hbar, but this is , = - <i xd f* /dx | g> -i hbar

Please check my signs , but whatever the sign is it can't be hermitian because you have an extra constant so xp is not a hermitian and therefore can't be mesured in the lab.

Thanks for your help Lisa!

Likes Lisa_304

Related to Hermitian Properties of Matrices with Differential Operators

1. What is a Hermitian matrix?

A Hermitian matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, the matrix is equal to the complex conjugate of its own transpose.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is Hermitian?

To determine if a matrix is Hermitian, you need to take the conjugate transpose of the matrix and compare it to the original matrix. If they are equal, then the matrix is Hermitian. Another way to check is to see if all the eigenvalues of the matrix are real numbers.

3. Are all Hermitian matrices also symmetric?

Yes, all Hermitian matrices are also symmetric. However, the converse is not true - not all symmetric matrices are Hermitian.

4. What are the properties of Hermitian matrices?

Some of the key properties of Hermitian matrices include: they have real eigenvalues, their eigenvectors are orthogonal, their diagonal elements are real, and their off-diagonal elements are complex conjugates of each other.

5. Why are Hermitian matrices important in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian matrices are important in quantum mechanics because they represent physically observable quantities, such as energy and momentum. They also play a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics, as they correspond to self-adjoint operators in the theory.