Hessian optimization through Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses using the BFGS method in Mathematica for a problem involving a collection of functions and transforming them into linear combinations in order to optimize another function. The BFGS algorithm is already built in Mathematica, but the approach for this specific problem is unclear. The goal is to determine the mixing coefficients for each transformed function in order to obtain the optimized set of functions. The Hessian will be used to calculate the partial derivatives of the optimization function with respect to the mixing coefficients. Any assistance with this problem would be appreciated.
brydustin
I know by default that Mathematica will use the BFGS method when you request "FindMinimum[Function]" but I am curious for a hint towards a pseudo-code for the following problem:

I have a collection of functions, say F = {f1,f2,...,fN} and I want to transform them as linear combinations of one another i.e.

fJ' = a(f1) + b(f2) + ... + c(fi) + d(fJ) + ... + n(fN) such that the transformed set, say
F' = {f1',f2',...,fN'} optimizes a function B(f1,f2,...,fN).
Now, this makes B, strictly speaking, a function of the mixing coefficients (a,b,...c,...,n)_J
(that is to say, for each fJ, the transformed fJ' has its own mixing coefficients). If we put these in a matrix and act them on F, we get F' (and the matrix has N*N components).
How may I apply the BFGS algorithm (its already built in Mathematica), so that I can get these coefficients (notice the Hessian is taking the partials of B with respect to the coefficients which mix f1,...fN, and the f's are actually "fixed"/i.e. given)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how to approach this problem and how to use BFGS for it. Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Hessian optimization through Mathematica

What is "Hessian optimization through Mathematica"?

Hessian optimization through Mathematica is a method for finding the minimum or maximum value of a mathematical function using the Hessian matrix. This approach uses the powerful optimization capabilities of the Mathematica software to quickly and accurately solve optimization problems.

How does "Hessian optimization through Mathematica" work?

The method involves calculating the Hessian matrix of the function, which is a square matrix of second-order partial derivatives. This matrix is then used to determine the critical points of the function, which are points where the gradient (or slope) of the function is zero. By analyzing the Hessian matrix at these critical points, it is possible to determine whether they correspond to a minimum, maximum, or saddle point. The point with the lowest or highest function value is then identified as the optimal solution.

What are the advantages of using "Hessian optimization through Mathematica"?

One of the main advantages is that it is a fast and efficient method for solving optimization problems. Mathematica also has a user-friendly interface, making it easy to enter and manipulate mathematical functions. Additionally, the Hessian matrix provides valuable information about the curvature of the function, which can help to identify the optimal solution more accurately.

What types of problems can be solved using "Hessian optimization through Mathematica"?

This method can be applied to a wide range of optimization problems, including unconstrained and constrained optimization, linear and nonlinear functions, and single and multi-variable functions. It can also handle problems with various types of objectives, such as maximizing or minimizing a function, as well as problems with equality or inequality constraints.

Are there any limitations to "Hessian optimization through Mathematica"?

While "Hessian optimization through Mathematica" is a powerful tool, it may not be suitable for all types of optimization problems. For example, it may struggle with highly complex or discontinuous functions. It is always recommended to carefully analyze the problem and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.