Hey Help With Momentum Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force required to support an open tank containing water, and how it changes when a streamlined orifice is added to the tank. The final answer is obtained by subtracting the thrust created by the draining of the liquid from the weight of the tank and the original force required. The final answer is 6156N.
vip_uae
Heya i have this question over here... i have done the first part of it

An open tank weighing 1000 N contains 0.6 m3 of water. Calculate the force required to support the system against gravity.

Answer is 6886 .. the calculation i have done is convert the 0.6 meter cubic into m.liters and then convert it to Kilograms after that i multiply it with Gravity to give me 5886 and then i add the weight of the tank on it to give me the final answer

If a streamlined orifice of 120 mm diameter, discharging a flow of 90.5 kg/s, is fitted in the floor of the tank, what supporting force will now be required? Assume that the orifice discharges to atmosphere, and that the water level in the tank remains steady. Ans:6156

HERE where i am stuck i don't know what to do after this step so please help me thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
anyhelp guys?

weight reduction comes from "thrust" created by the draining of the liquid, i guess.

at anyrate, T = mdot * V. mdot = rho A V. you can solve backwards for V (knowing the orifice diameter, and density of water), then get your V.

you should get: Wnew = Wold - T, hopefully 6886N - T = 6156N

FAQ: Hey Help With Momentum Questions

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physics term that refers to the quantity of motion an object has. In other words, it is a measure of how much force is required to stop or change the direction of an object's movement.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity (speed and direction). The equation for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the difference between momentum and inertia?

Momentum and inertia are related concepts, but they are not the same. Inertia is an object's tendency to resist changes in its state of motion, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion. In other words, inertia is a property of an object, while momentum is a measure of that object's motion.

4. How does momentum change in a closed system?

In a closed system, where there is no external force acting on the system, momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum of the system will remain constant, even if individual objects within the system collide or interact with each other.

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum?

Some examples of momentum in everyday life include a car moving down a highway, a basketball being bounced on a court, a person riding a bike, or a rollercoaster going down a hill. In each of these cases, the objects have mass and are in motion, so they have momentum.