Hi all. Need guidance for some fundamentals physics

In summary, the fundamental laws of physics govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, and can be broken down into the laws of motion, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. To improve understanding of physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and practice problem-solving. Classical physics deals with macroscopic objects and follows deterministic laws, while quantum physics deals with particles at the atomic level and introduces uncertainty. Physics applies to everyday life, from electronic devices to the motion of vehicles, and common misconceptions include it being only for geniuses and a boring subject, when in reality it is a diverse and fascinating field accessible to anyone with an interest.
learn2physics
Hi everyone.
I am self studying for my GCE for the past 6 months now. I have been doing revision for a long time and did some question papers. I have a few problems and hope the people here can guide me. Thank you

Problem 1.

Homework Statement

A 5.0kg mass is suspended from the ceiling. A horizontal force F is applied to hold the string in position as shown

http://i.imgur.com/ZdR72ff.jpg

Determine the reading of F on the spring balance by using a scale diagram

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i.imgur.com/2KO2AnT.jpg
Am I doing it correctly?
It doesn't really make sense to me. I can't determine the force F. I only have 30degree angle and the weight.

Problem 2

Homework Statement

A ladder weighing 200N is being held by a man. The man shoulder acts as a pivot. His arm is pushing an upward force F.

http://i.imgur.com/dMrcRtK.jpg

Where could a weight of 150N be hang upon, so that force F do not need to counteract the weight of the ladder

Homework Equations

Moment= F x Perpendicular Distance

I am not sure if I am understanding it correctly. If I am not wrong, the question is asking me, where can I hang a weight of 150N, so that force F no need to counteract the weight of the ladder. Meaning, assume force F = 0N.

Let the distance be x
Total clockwise moment = total anti clockwise moment
150x = 200*0.5
150x = 100
x = 2/3
= 0.667m.

Therefore it needs to be hang 0.667m away from the pivot or at 3.167m of the ladder.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Problem 3

Homework Statement

The figure shows 2 terminals M and N of a potential divider connected to a 6V battery. The circuit is connected to a Cathode-ray Oscillator.

http://i.imgur.com/zeV2e3j.jpg

(a) Describe in details what happens as the terminal is moved at a uniform speed from N to M.
(b) Draw the final reading of the final trace that is shown the CRO as N is moving towards M.

Homework Equations

None

(a) As terminal N is moving towards M, there will be an increased in e.m.f, the results in a higher reading on the tracd

(b) http://i.imgur.com/bldLWjF.jpg
This is my attempt.

Please correct me if I make any mistakes thank you.

Theoretical Problem:
Is the work done the same if I move an object vertically upwards of height 2.0m v.s moving up a ramp at height until it reaches 2.0m?

From what I memorise, they are the same. Am I right? But can someone explain why? I want to understand why.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The first thing you should do is separate each of these problems out into separate threads as its very hard and confusing to get help when its tangled together with other problems.

On the first problem try drawing a force diagram, in this example the forces should add up to zero. One force is the pull of gravity on the weight, the second is the pull from the string attached to the ceiling and the third is the force from horizontal string. I'd review some examples from other problems to see how its done.

I will have the OP post these questions one at a time in separate threads. This thread is closed.

Related to Hi all. Need guidance for some fundamentals physics

1. What are the fundamental laws of physics?

The fundamental laws of physics are the basic principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. These include the laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, and the laws of electromagnetism.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to practice problem-solving. It can also be helpful to read textbooks, attend lectures or tutorials, and participate in hands-on experiments.

3. What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum physics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Classical physics follows deterministic laws, while quantum physics introduces uncertainty and probability into the equations.

4. How does physics apply to everyday life?

Physics is present in many aspects of our daily lives, from the functioning of electronic devices to the motion of vehicles and the behavior of fluids. Understanding the principles of physics can help us make sense of the world around us and make informed decisions.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the idea that it is only applicable to complex and theoretical concepts, that it is only for geniuses, and that it is a boring and difficult subject. In reality, physics is a diverse and fascinating field that can be understood by anyone with an interest and dedication to learning.