Hi everyone,is 'X' be capitalized in 'x-ray'?

• Thread starter Rajini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi X-ray
In summary, the conversation discusses the capitalization of "X" in "x-ray" and whether it is a matter of personal preference or a rule. The participants agree that it is not a major concern and that different journals may have their own conventions. It is suggested that the style guide of the specific journal or advisor should be followed for consistency. However, some sources mention that "X" should be capitalized. Ultimately, it is concluded that this should not be a major concern in writing, especially since English usage can vary between countries. The conversation also includes other tips for easily confused words and when to use capitalization in general.
Rajini
Hi everyone,
is 'X' be capitalized in 'x-ray'?
i noticed in physics journals, for e.g., in phys. rev. lett., it is not capitalized!
which is correct ?? or just it is a matter of personal taste?
actually a silly doubt
thanks for replying

Physics news on Phys.org

Doesn't matter.
Each journal will have a house style where they change things like this to be consistent, but there isn't really a rule.

hmm,
http://www.sematech.org/publications/style/word_lst.htm
in that site they mentioned like a rule that x should be capitalized!
i also think that it is just our own wish...

I would probably capitalize it on the basis that the X is a thing on it's own, but it really doesn't matter.
Many journals (especially the older ones) have their own rules and will edit copy to match their style.
Most journals now just take your copy directly, it's cheaper and easier - also as more papers are international they may be written in a mix of English an American usage.

Really don't sweat it.

ps. Some of that page's other tips about easily confused words are useful - especially if English isn't your native language

Of all the things you should be worried about, this isn't it!. If what you submitted isn't the typesetting format that a particular journal uses (such as "rf" instead of "RF"), then they'll correct it. This should be the LEAST of your worries, and really, a non-issue.

Zz.

yes..it does not bother me a lot!
just curious what ppl. here think about it..
Now i am writing my thesis (contains lot of x-ray :))..so thought of asking here..

Rajini said:
Now i am writing my thesis (contains lot of x-ray :))..so thought of asking here..
It depends on the style your adviser/school wants you to follow for your thesis. Ask your advisor.

The debate basically goes:
a) x-ray is a noun that functionally is one word, and regular nouns don't capitalized
b) it is capitalized because X is a single letter and single letters get capitalized in compound nouns (think T-shirt)

The convention varies.

Johns and Cunningham: x ray
Khan: x-ray

The capitalization comes when used in a title such as:
The Physics of X Ray Production

Other Helpful Rules
When referring to oneself, "I" requires capitalization.
Capital letters are used at the beginning of sentences.
You only need one question mark at the end of a question.

Related to Hi everyone,is 'X' be capitalized in 'x-ray'?

1. Can you explain why 'X' is capitalized in 'x-ray'?

The capitalization of 'X' in 'x-ray' is due to its origin as an abbreviation for "X-ray," which is a type of electromagnetic radiation that was named after its discoverer, Wilhelm Röntgen. In scientific and medical terminology, it is common to capitalize abbreviations that are derived from proper nouns.

2. Is it grammatically correct to capitalize 'X' in 'x-ray'?

Yes, it is considered grammatically correct to capitalize 'X' in 'x-ray' when used as a noun or adjective. However, when used as a verb, it should not be capitalized (e.g. "The doctor will x-ray my arm").

3. Is it necessary to capitalize 'X' in 'x-ray'?

While it is not always necessary to capitalize 'X' in 'x-ray' in informal writing, it is considered the correct spelling in formal writing and scientific literature. This ensures consistency and accuracy in terminology.

4. Are there any exceptions to capitalizing 'X' in 'x-ray'?

In general, the abbreviation 'X' should always be capitalized in 'x-ray'. However, in some cases, it may be lowercase if it is part of a longer abbreviation, such as 'CT' for "computed tomography" or 'MRI' for "magnetic resonance imaging".

5. Can I use 'x-ray' without capitalizing 'X'?

While it is technically possible to use 'x-ray' without capitalizing 'X' in informal writing, it is not considered the correct spelling in formal writing and scientific literature. It is important to follow proper capitalization rules in order to maintain clarity and accuracy in communication.