Hi.I am using a 3 axis accelerometer for motion detection. I can

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 3 axis accelerometer for motion detection and the challenges of determining movement in a particular direction. There is no way to distinguish between acceleration and a gravitational field using only one device, so it is necessary to use multiple devices to accurately measure both dynamic and static acceleration. This is known as Einstein's "principle of equivalence".
mark2468
Hi.

I am using a 3 axis accelerometer for motion detection. I can easily determine the tilt using simple triginometry but cannot determine the movement in a particular direction. For example the sensor is at 45 degrees to the floor so the x,z coordinates are x = 0.5, z = 0.5. So if I keep the angle constant and move directly up x will stay the same and z might now go to 1 or even more. But x = 0.5, z = 1 is also the same as the device being parallel to the floor. So is it possible to determine both 'dynamic' and 'static' acceleration using one of these devices or would I have to use more?

Thanks,

Mark.

Physics news on Phys.org

This is known as Einstein's "principle of equivalence". There is no way to distinguish acceleration from a gravitational field, no matter how many devices you use. So, for example, if all three readings are zero, you don't know if the device is here on Earth, falling at 9.81 m/s^2, or floating out in space somewhere. All you can measure is the local acceleration experienced by the device, which might be purely gravitational( what you called static), purely acceleration (what you called dynamic) or some mixture.

Related to Hi.I am using a 3 axis accelerometer for motion detection. I can

1. How does a 3 axis accelerometer work?

A 3 axis accelerometer works by measuring the acceleration of an object in three different directions: X, Y, and Z. It does this by using tiny sensors that detect changes in motion, and then converts these changes into electrical signals that can be interpreted by a microcontroller or computer.

2. What is motion detection?

Motion detection is the process of detecting changes in the position, speed, or direction of an object. In the context of a 3 axis accelerometer, it refers to the detection of movement in three different directions.

3. How accurate is a 3 axis accelerometer for motion detection?

The accuracy of a 3 axis accelerometer depends on various factors such as the quality of the sensor, calibration, and external factors like temperature and vibration. Generally, the accuracy can range from a few milli-g's to a few micro-g's.

4. What are the applications of using a 3 axis accelerometer for motion detection?

A 3 axis accelerometer can be used in a wide range of applications, including fitness tracking, navigation, robotics, gaming, and virtual reality. It is also commonly used in smartphones and other mobile devices for screen rotation and gesture control.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 3 axis accelerometer for motion detection?

While 3 axis accelerometers are highly versatile and widely used, they do have some limitations. They are most accurate in detecting linear motion and may have difficulty differentiating between different types of movement, such as walking and shaking. They also require proper calibration and may be affected by external factors such as temperature and vibration.