Hi I with a displacement type problem

In summary, a shopper rides up a 6m escalator in a mall and then turns right and walks 9m to a store. The magnitude of their displacement from the bottom of the escalator is 16m. Using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometry, it can be determined that the angle of the escalator above the horizontal is 27 degrees. To solve this problem, one can combine two triangles and use trigonometry to find the angle.
Haniszmi

Homework Statement

In a mall, a shopper rides up an escalator between floors. At the top of the escalator, the shopper turns right and walks 9 meters to a store. The magnitude of the shopper's displacement from the bottom of the escalator is 16m. The vertical distance between the floors is 6m. At what angle is the escalator inclined above the horizontal?

Homework Equations

Pythagorean theorem/ soh cah toa

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a hard time visualizing this problem. I drew my first triangle as if I was standing in front of the escalator, which was a straight line x going north, then my next leg 9m long eastward and my hypotenuse 16m long diagonal. I did not get the correct answer of 27 degrees. I drew my second triangle as if i was watching the escalator from the side and all I had was one leg which was the height of 6m being the distance between the ceiling and the floor. Someone help me solve this please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you were on the right track. You just needed to combine those two triangles so your last triangle with the 6m height had its hypotenuse as well (which is the escalator distance you found from using pythagoras' theorem on the other triangle) and you can use your trig from there.

If you can't visualize the scenario, make a sketch of it on paper and include all angles and sides you know and the ones you find. You will notice it is only a 2-step problem.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this problem. It sounds like you are on the right track by using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to solve this problem. However, it seems that you may be visualizing the situation incorrectly.

To correctly visualize the problem, imagine that you are looking at the escalator from the side, as you mentioned. Now, draw a right triangle where the vertical leg is 6m (the distance between the floors), the horizontal leg is 9m (the distance to the store), and the hypotenuse is the total displacement of 16m. This will form a right triangle where the angle between the 6m and 16m sides is the angle of inclination of the escalator.

Using the Pythagorean theorem, we can solve for the length of the hypotenuse (16m). Then, using trigonometric functions, we can solve for the angle of inclination. Remember to use the inverse trigonometric functions (arcsin, arccos, arctan) to find the angle.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem solving!

Related to Hi I with a displacement type problem

1. What is a displacement type problem?

A displacement type problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the change in position or movement of an object. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the location, velocity, or acceleration of an object.

2. How do I solve a displacement type problem?

To solve a displacement type problem, you will need to use the appropriate equations and formulas for the specific situation. This may involve using principles of calculus, such as integration or differentiation, or using other mathematical methods. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

3. What are some common applications of displacement type problems?

Displacement type problems are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the distance traveled by a moving object, determining the position of an object at a given time, or finding the velocity of a moving vehicle.

4. What are the units of measurement for displacement?

Displacement is typically measured in units of length, such as meters (m) or feet (ft). However, the specific units may vary depending on the problem and the system of measurement being used. For example, displacement may also be measured in centimeters (cm), kilometers (km), or miles (mi).

5. How can I check if my answer to a displacement type problem is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation or by using other relevant equations to verify that your answer is consistent. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and make sure you have used the correct units of measurement. If possible, you can also compare your answer to a known solution or ask for feedback from a teacher or colleague.