Hi In the Diffraction Handbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a grating used in the Littrow or autocollimating configuration, where light of a certain wavelength is diffracted back along the incident light direction. This is achieved by rotating the grating, which changes the angles of incidence and diffraction. The speaker asks for clarification on the statement that "a = b for all λ" and another person responds by explaining that this is because the incident light is reflected back on itself at the same angle, regardless of the wavelength.
Niles
Hi

In the Diffraction Handbook http://gratings.newport.com/library/handbook/chapter6.asp#6.2.4 it says:

A grating used in the Littrow or autocollimating configuration diffracts light of wavelength λ back along the incident light direction (Figure 6-4). In a Littrow monochromator, the spectrum is scanned by rotating the grating; this reorients the grating normal, so the angles of incidence a and diffraction b change (even though a = b for all λ).

I don't understand what they mean by "even though a = b for all λ". Does anybody know, who wants to clarify this for me?

Niles.

Science news on Phys.org

From what I've read it looks like a=b because the incident light is reflected directly back on itself to the mirror, no matter what wavelength it is. (approximately anyways)
I get the feeling that the angle of diffraction is the same as the angle of reflection in this case.
hope this helps

Thanks for helping.Niles.

FAQ: Hi In the Diffraction Handbook

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave (such as light or sound) encounters an obstacle or slit. It causes the wave to bend and spread out, creating a pattern of alternating light and dark regions.

2. How is diffraction used in science?

Diffraction is used in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It is used to study the structure of materials, such as crystals, and to analyze the properties of light, such as its wavelength and intensity.

3. What is the difference between diffraction and refraction?

Diffraction is the bending and spreading of a wave when it encounters an obstacle or slit, while refraction is the change in direction of a wave as it passes through a medium with different properties. Diffraction is caused by interference, while refraction is caused by a change in the speed of the wave.

4. How does diffraction affect the human eye?

Diffraction can affect the human eye by causing blurry or distorted vision. This is because the eye's lens and pupil act as obstacles that cause diffraction of light waves, especially at smaller wavelengths. This is why people with smaller pupils, such as those with better eyesight, can see more clearly.

5. Can diffraction be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, diffraction can be seen with the naked eye. One example is the diffraction of light through a CD or DVD, which creates a colorful pattern. It can also be seen in everyday objects, such as soap bubbles and oil slicks, where light is diffracted and creates a rainbow effect.