Hidden dimensions and quadratic term of a free field

In summary, the video by Susskind discusses the quadratic term in the Lagrangian and its implications for the existence of free scalar particles in spacetime. The conversation raises the question of whether the particles exist continuously or if they disappear and reappear in hidden dimensions. However, there is no current way to measure or prove the existence of these hidden dimensions, and it is not a commonly accepted interpretation in quantum mechanics. The focus of standard QM is on observations in the observable world, and the concept of disappearing into hidden dimensions is not widely supported.
victorvmotti
Consider a free real scalar field. The quadratic term in field of spacetime implies that a universe of these free particles is created, annihilated, recreated, and so on moment by moment.

In this video Susskind explains the quadratic term in the Lagrangian

youtu.be/D7yXoNAg3J8

(At minute 32:0)

How they "absorb and emit" an undisturbed particle at the same point or neighboring points of spacetime.

Yet we are under the false impression that the particles exist continuously in spacetime.

The question is does this observation alone imply the existence of some extra or hidden dimensions in which the particle exists when annihilated in the four dimensional universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you exist continuously in spacetime? You are roughly the sum of 10^25 elementary particles which, you say, appear and disappear at any moment...

Likes bhobba
Apparently I do exist.

Here of course undisturbed means that the freely moving particle is not scattered. However, when the particle propagates from a point in spacetime to another neighboring point it is annihilated in the former point of spacetime and created in the latter and so on.

I am asking if after annihilated and before recreated at a neighboring point can we say that the particle might exist in some hidden dimensions?

victorvmotti said:
I am asking if after annihilated and before recreated at a neighboring point can we say that the particle might exist in some hidden dimensions?

Good idea, but from what I know, we currently have no way to precisely describe the "in-between" of cause and effect events, such as this scenario. Sometimes approximations work, but calling that which we cannot measure something like a hidden dimension or hidden variable (or dark) is hardly satisfactory.

Of course, this does suggest there is something about nature that we cannot fully describe (simple "hidden" would be most accurate), but I view all these itty-bitty concepts being inadequate to begin with... We cannot follow those events from beginning to end, so, a lot of what you're asking is possibly going to be a dead end with the theoretical requirements.

Say you are right, what mathematical proof could be given that the particle would exist somewhere else, hidden? How could it transform in between the annihilation and generation? Could you prove that such an "in-between" or "dimension" could contain a particle form?

Plus, I don't think QM is intended to be used for such interpretations. More like a checklist or something?

Fervent Freyja said:
Plus, I don't think QM is intended to be used for such interpretations. More like a checklist or something?

Right at its very foundations standard QM is a theory about observations that occur here in a common-sense world. It is possible to have interpretations where such is not the case - so strictly speaking a person like say Dirac would not even assume that - only the math - but those kind of interpretations (ie consciousnesses causes collapse) are rather fringe these days so virtually everyone would accept what I said. Whats going on between those observations is anyone's guess - you can assume virtually anything you like - but the question has to be asked - to what gain? If you want to invoke disappearing to hidden dimensions - yes you can do that, but exactly why? Yo u can prove it. I know why for example those that hold to De-Broglie Bohm believe in the unobservable guiding pilot wave but things like disappearing into hidden dimensions beats me.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Hidden dimensions and quadratic term of a free field

1. What are hidden dimensions in the context of a free field?

Hidden dimensions refer to additional dimensions that are hypothesized to exist beyond the familiar three dimensions of length, width, and height. In the context of a free field, these dimensions may not be immediately observable or measurable, but they are postulated to have an impact on the behavior of the field.

2. What is a quadratic term in a free field?

A quadratic term in a free field refers to a term in the field's equation of motion that is proportional to the square of the field itself. This term can represent self-interactions within the field, and its presence can have significant effects on the field's behavior and properties.

3. How do hidden dimensions and quadratic terms affect the behavior of a free field?

Both hidden dimensions and quadratic terms can have a significant impact on the behavior of a free field. Hidden dimensions may introduce new symmetries or properties to the field, while quadratic terms can lead to non-linear dynamics and the formation of complex structures within the field.

4. Are there any experimental or observational evidence for hidden dimensions and quadratic terms in real-world systems?

There is currently no direct experimental or observational evidence for hidden dimensions or quadratic terms in real-world systems. However, some theories such as string theory and supersymmetry make use of hidden dimensions, and certain phenomena such as the Higgs mechanism in particle physics can be explained by the presence of a quadratic term in the field's equation of motion.

5. How is the concept of hidden dimensions and quadratic terms relevant to current scientific research?

The study of hidden dimensions and quadratic terms in free fields is a topic of ongoing research in theoretical physics. The existence of hidden dimensions and their potential impact on the behavior of fields is a subject of interest in areas such as quantum gravity, cosmology, and particle physics. Understanding these concepts could potentially lead to new insights and advancements in our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.