Higgs Boson and Hawking Radiation

In summary: Higgs boson actually is.In summary, Kindayr is asking if there is a correlation between the Higgs Boson and Hawking Radiation. He assumes that the Higgs Boson and Hawking Radiation are two different things, but they can actually be one and the same. He also asks if the drag affect on an object trying to reach the speed of light is due to the Higgs Boson. Lastly, he asks if the Higgs Boson could be the force governing the repulsive electric force between two negative charges.
Kindayr
Hey everyone, I'm new here.

I'm currently a Grade 12 Student interested in Astrophysics, who has just recently applied to University (in Canada: UBC, UVic, UofT, UWO, Queen's, and York; all for Astrophysics and/or Astronomy, if anyone wants to give me advice on which one to choose, please do )

Since the Ontario public/catholic curriculum barely delves into any detail on any theoretical physics, I've had to look into subjects that interest me currently by myself, with hardly anyone to give me proper answers.

After watching some MIT lectures off of iTunes U and reading other astrophysics literature, I've come to ask what some of you may think of as a simple question:

Is there a correlation between the Higgs Boson and Hawking Radiation.

I've only read into both in simplest terms, but I was just thinking to myself if the two could be connected.

My assumptions:

Hawking Radiation needs an antiparticle-particle pair that we have not discovered to be torn apart into its antiparticle and particle parts, releasing the particle with energy and momentum from the black hole, slowly decreasing the black holes' life.

Could this antiparticle-particle pair be a gauge particle? I know that the photon, a gauge particle, can be split into a positron and electron, as well as the annihilation of two produce a photon. Could the sought after Higgs boson share a similar characteristic?

What I mean is that the Higgs boson, an ever existing virtual particle that exists all over our universe, dictating mass (as I've been explained to in simplest terms) could actually be an antiparticle-particle pair, like the photon. As this Higgs boson approaches the BH it is torn, producing Hawking Radiation.

I'm sure you can all easily tell me I am completely wrong, as I assume I am, but I'm just simply inquiring.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Kindayr said:
Hey everyone, I'm new here.

Hi Kindayr; welcome to Physics Forums!
Hawking Radiation needs an antiparticle-particle pair that we have not discovered to be torn apart into its antiparticle and particle parts, releasing the particle with energy and momentum from the black hole, slowly decreasing the black holes' life.

Hawking radiation consists of both of particles and antiparticles of which we know (e.g., photons, electons, positrons, etc.) and which have yet to be discovered, but Hawking radiation doesn't actually require any hitherto unknown particles. A black hole's temperature is inversely proportional to its mass, so small black holes are more likely to produce Higgs bosons than large black holes.

You might like to read Steve Carlip's description of Hawking radiation,

http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/Text/Carlip.html#Hawkrad.

If you have any questions about this, or about anything I've written, or about anything else, fire away.
Could this antiparticle-particle pair be a gauge particle? I know that the photon, a gauge particle, can be split into a positron and electron, as well as the annihilation of two produce a photon.

It's not quite true that an isolated photon can decay into a particle-antiparticle pair,as this would violate the law of conservation of momentum. Two photons can, however, produce a a particle-antiparticle pair.
What I mean is that the Higgs boson, an ever existing virtual particle that exists all over our universe, dictating mass (as I've been explained to in simplest terms) could actually be an antiparticle-particle pair, like the photon.

In the simplest models, Higgs bosons are not composite particles.

I understand now, thanks a lot :)

I guess I'm just wondering if its possible for the Higgs Boson to decay into any lepton pair, since both several other gauge bosons, such as the photon, W-, W+, Z bosons all subsequently decay into different lepton pairs.

Furthermore, as a side question, I was wondering something else.

I've been explained to that Higgs bosons are basically everywhere, almost constituting our universe. Furthermore, I've been described that as matter approaches the speed of light, it gains mass, which results in more energy to maintain an increase of speed, making it impossible for matter to reach the speed of light. I realize that this is described through Einstein's rest mass equation, that huge amounts of energy begin to present themselves in matter as an increase in mass.

My question is that what if the fact that matter cannot achieve the speed of light is due to the fact that the Higgs Boson is actually creating a drag affect on the object attempting to achieve c. Wouldn't this mimick Huygen's idea of a vacuo aether? As well as the effects, of what we have proven to be non-existent, aether winds?

Obviously my claims are juvenile and uninformed, but these questions still bug me.

PS: I'm also wondering if this could be the Higgs force that the boson actually dictates. Like a negative charge aproaching another negative charge, there is a repulsive electric force that increases to the square as you approach the other negative charge. What if c is the repulsive charge, and as we approach it, a force is pushing us away. Obviously this force must be extremely weak as we don't feel the effects at smaller speeds, but it grows exponentially as we approach c.

Last edited:
It depends on the higgs boson mass which lepton pairs it can decay into.

If the higgs boson have mass above 2*m_Z the most prominent decay modes will be into ZZ and WW, which in their turn can decay into a lot of stuff. one of the possible end products is the 4 muon one, called the Golden Channel.

If the higgs have mass below 2*m_W, it will decay into fermion-antifermion pairs, and among these the bottom + antibottom will dominate.

So, yes, it can decay into lepton pairs, but you can not argue that it can do it since W, and Z can do it I think. The Higgs boson is quite different from these.

Regarding why particles with mass can't be accelerated to speed of light, you are doing some kind of classical analogy with the quantum vacuum, but kinematics of special relativity is a classic (i.e non quantum) effect -> You can derive the equations of special relativity without QM.

So the reason for why particles acquire mass when accelerated is simply that time and space are Relative concepts, that's all you need to proove it. And the reason for why particles with mass can't go to speed of light is that infinite amount of energy is needed to accelerate them, which is impossible.

malawi_glenn said:
It depends on the higgs boson mass which lepton pairs it can decay into.

A Higgs can directly decay to any (same flavor) lepton pair. However, because the Higgs couples to mass, the branching fractions are tiny.

However, George is right - Hawking radiation doesn't require a Higgs, doesn't have a special role for the Higgs, and even if the Higgs were composite, it wouldn't have any effect.

well toché, higgs have mass way above the 2*m_tau so my statement was a bit fuzzy ;-)

Related to Higgs Boson and Hawking Radiation

What is the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson, also known as the "God Particle", is a subatomic particle that gives other particles their mass. It was first theorized in the 1960s and was finally discovered in 2012 by scientists at CERN.

How does the Higgs Boson work?

The Higgs Field is a field of energy that exists throughout the universe. As particles move through this field, they interact with the Higgs Boson and acquire mass. The more a particle interacts with the Higgs Boson, the more massive it becomes.

What is Hawking Radiation?

Hawking Radiation is a form of radiation emitted by black holes. It was first theorized by Stephen Hawking in the 1970s. According to the theory, when particles and antiparticles are created near the event horizon of a black hole, one may fall into the black hole while the other escapes as radiation. This causes the black hole to lose mass over time and eventually evaporate.

How is Hawking Radiation related to the Higgs Boson?

Hawking Radiation is related to the Higgs Boson through the concept of virtual particles. These are particles that pop in and out of existence in the quantum vacuum. The Higgs Field can affect the creation of virtual particles, which in turn affects Hawking Radiation.

Why is the study of Higgs Boson and Hawking Radiation important?

The study of Higgs Boson and Hawking Radiation helps us understand the fundamental laws of the universe and the behavior of matter and energy. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and potential advancements in fields like quantum computing. Additionally, the discovery of the Higgs Boson and the study of Hawking Radiation have confirmed and expanded our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics.