Higgs Field with SB but without Higgs Boson?

In summary: The theoretical success of GWS model is its prediction that M_w over M_z is equal to the angle. The definition of the angle is really that it produces separately the constants of SU(2) and U(1) from an unique constant "g0". If you add other breaking mechanism beyond doublet you can still recover the low energy phenomenology but the prediction of M_w over M_z changes.
arivero
Gold Member
Hi,

I was searching for some example of a theory where all the components of the higgs field are "eaten" by the vector gauge fields and no Higgs boson is left. I have just checked Georgi-Glashow SO(3) --> U(1), but they use a triplet Higgs so at the end again a Higgs Boson does appear.

Is it a generic result that you always will have a Higgs Boson?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a massless photon you will.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you have a massless photon you will.

So, is it possible, say, to produce a completely broken version of the Georgi-Glashow model, without photon but then also without Higgs Boson?

And realy, I am not sure of the connection between "massless photon" and "higgs boson". The number of Higgs Bosons getting mass after symmetry breaking is not equal to the number of unbroken symmetries, isn't it? For instance I could break with a two-doublets higgs field, and I would get five massive bosons.

You need to insert complete gauge multiplets. If you leave a "space" for the photon, you will have a leftover degree of freedom. You can always have more.

Vanadium 50 said:
You need to insert complete gauge multiplets. If you leave a "space" for the photon, you will have a leftover degree of freedom. You can always have more.
Yeah, I see it in the standard model. But 1) is is true for any breaing G ---> U(1), for any gauge group G, that we always will have a leftover? and 2) are there "leftovers" if we completely break the gauge group?

I think you can if you procceed in breaking the (since you are working with SU[N] ) remaining U(1) too...

I should try :-) Davelock (not sure if this is his nick here in PF) asked me some days ago about role for the third mass in the SU(2)xU(1) breaking. I mean, when the vacuum takes a value <v>, we define a coupling g0 and a angle of Weinberg th, so that mass of Z is g0 v / 2, and mass of W is g0 cos th v /2, and then it is a very obvious thing to ask if the quantity g0 sin th v/2 could have a physical incarnation too.

I am not sure...but the sinθ_w is as much meaningful as the cosθ_w... and the definition of Weinberg's angle comes from the ratio M_w over M_z... So what's the "physical" meaning of that?

ChrisVer said:
I am not sure...but the sinθ_w is as much meaningful as the cosθ_w... and the definition of Weinberg's angle comes from the ratio M_w over M_z... So what's the "physical" meaning of that?
Well, not exactly. The theoretical success of GWS model is its prediction that M_w over M_z is equal to the angle. The definition of the angle is really that it produces separately the constants of SU(2) and U(1) from an unique constant "g0". If you add other breaking mechanism beyond doublet you can still recover the low energy phenomenology but the prediction of M_w over M_z changes. The "rho parameter" and all such stuff... there was usually a pretty detailed description in the Particle Data Group reviews.

Related to Higgs Field with SB but without Higgs Boson?

1. What is the Higgs Field with SB but without Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that explains the origin of mass in elementary particles. The Standard Model (SM) of particle physics includes the Higgs Field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass. However, some theories propose the existence of the Higgs Field without the associated particle, the Higgs Boson.

2. How does the Higgs Field with SB but without Higgs Boson differ from the Standard Model?

In the Standard Model, the Higgs Field is accompanied by the Higgs Boson, a particle that is responsible for giving mass to other particles. However, in theories without the Higgs Boson, the Higgs Field still exists but its mechanism for giving mass to particles is different.

3. What evidence supports the existence of the Higgs Field with SB but without Higgs Boson?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in 2012 provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs Field. However, some theories suggest that the Higgs Field may exist without the associated particle, and this is supported by various experimental and theoretical studies.

4. How does the Higgs Field with SB but without Higgs Boson affect our understanding of the universe?

The existence of the Higgs Field with SB but without Higgs Boson challenges our current understanding of the universe and opens up new possibilities for research and discovery. It also raises questions about the fundamental nature of mass and the role of the Higgs Field in the formation of the universe.

5. What are the implications of the Higgs Field with SB but without Higgs Boson for future research?

The existence of the Higgs Field with SB but without Higgs Boson has significant implications for future research in particle physics. It suggests the need for new theories and models to explain the origin of mass and could potentially lead to the discovery of new particles and interactions that could further our understanding of the universe.