High-Energy Doppler Shift & Pair Production

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of pair production and the potential effects of high energy movement through the universe. It is noted that in order for pair production to occur, the recoil atoms must be at rest relative to the individual, rather than the high energy photons. It is also mentioned that while there may be limits to the energy that can be packed into a single particle, these limits would apply to the individual traveling at high velocities, not the low energy photons.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Hi all,

Let's say you are at rest with respect to the galaxy, and you have low energy photons all around you. Now, if I crank my energies up relatvisitcally, the frequency and thus E = hf of those photons will increase. Red Light becomes Blue Light, Blue Light becomes UV, UV to X-ray, and finally X-ray to Gamma Ray. But the limit of not finding photons of higher energy than Gamma is pair production. Could I ever move with high enough energy through the universe that all photons will look like pair-produced particles, first electrons and anti-electrons, then maybe something heavier like protons and anti-protons? That is to say, if I moved with high enough energy, would I not actually see anymore light, but particles where light used to be? I know that you need a recoil atom for pair-production, but let's say these are mostly available.

As a side-note: If there are not recoil atoms for pair production, what kind of photon would I have at such extreme, relatvistic energies?

Physics news on Phys.org
Albertgauss said:
I know that you need a recoil atom for pair-production, but let's say these are mostly available.

It's not enough for recoil atoms to be available: they have to be at rest relative to *you*, not the photons that are supposed to pair produce. In other words, the critical parameter for pair production is not the photons' energy relative to you, but the photons' energy relative to the recoil atoms.

Of course, one way to ensure that would be to have the recoil atoms be the ones making up you and your rocket ship; but that might not be very pleasant for you. :wink:

Albertgauss said:
If there are not recoil atoms for pair production, what kind of photon would I have at such extreme, relatvistic energies?

Um, a very, very energetic one? Classically, there is no limit to how much energy a photon can have.

Quantum mechanically, one could argue for limits to the energy that can be packed into a single particle, but any such limit is going to apply to you, traveling at ultra-relativistic velocity relative to the rest of the universe, not the photons that have low energy relative to the rest of the universe.

Related to High-Energy Doppler Shift & Pair Production

1. What is High-Energy Doppler Shift?

High-Energy Doppler Shift is a phenomenon in which the frequency and wavelength of electromagnetic waves are altered by the relative motion between the source of the waves and the observer. This shift is caused by the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency of a wave due to the motion of the source or the observer.

2. How does High-Energy Doppler Shift affect electromagnetic waves?

High-Energy Doppler Shift alters the frequency and wavelength of electromagnetic waves in a way that depends on the relative motion between the source and the observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the waves will appear to have a higher frequency and shorter wavelength. If the source is moving away from the observer, the waves will appear to have a lower frequency and longer wavelength.

3. What is Pair Production?

Pair Production is a process in which a particle and its antiparticle are created from a single photon (a particle of light) in the presence of a strong electric field. This process can only occur when the energy of the photon is greater than the combined mass energy of the created particles.

4. How are High-Energy Doppler Shift and Pair Production related?

High-Energy Doppler Shift and Pair Production are related in the sense that they both involve the interaction of photons (electromagnetic waves) with matter. In High-Energy Doppler Shift, the frequency and wavelength of the waves are altered due to the motion of the source, while in Pair Production, the energy of the photon is converted into the mass energy of particles. Both processes are important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in high-energy environments.

5. What are the applications of studying High-Energy Doppler Shift and Pair Production?

Studying High-Energy Doppler Shift and Pair Production is important in many fields, including astrophysics, particle physics, and medical imaging. Understanding these phenomena can help us better understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves in extreme environments, such as near black holes or in particle accelerators. Additionally, Pair Production has practical applications in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET), which uses the annihilation of particles and antiparticles to create images of the human body.