High energy light slower than lower energies?

In summary, gamma rays appear four minutes after the visible light, and the theory suggests that the slower speed is due to the photon's energy reaching a minimum.
tcthmas
Hey all, am new here so please go easy on me.

This regards observation of Markarian 501 with the MAGIC telescope. Gamma rays appear 4 minutes after the visible light. That high energy photons (gamma rays) travel more slowly through the "quantum foam" has been suggested, and even more mundane ideas have also been put forward. I would like to know if a theory of mine has any validity or possibility of being correct.

What if a wavelength of light has a minimum limit? Much like the velocity of a massive particle has an upper limit (the speed of light). I would guess this limit to be related to (if not exactly) the Planck length. We have never observed a photon with a wavelength even close to the Planck length. So what I am thinking is that much like relativity says time dilation occurs as you approach the speed of light, the speed of a photon decreases as you approach the Planck length (until you reach v=0 which is obviously the limit). The tachyon theoretically loses energy as its speed increses. Wouldn't the corollary make sense as well? That a photon's velocity decreases as its energy increases?

I would suspect that if this were happening the effects would be unnoticeable until you got to "relativistic" wavelengths like those of gamma rays. This would explain the delay we see from Markarian 501. Obviously, more data would be extremely helpful in determining if any such effect is happening.

Another thought. Inflation was introduced (by hand) to the Big Bang theory in order to explain the uniformity of the Universe we see today. An alternate explanation can be achieved if we assume that light traveled slower in the past. During the first few trillionths of a second after the big bang light would have to be at incredibly small wavelengths and therefore (according to my theory) traveling more slowly than it does today. And when the energy density decreased enough it would suddenly inflate. Your thoughts? Has somebody already thought of this and been proven incorrect? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give us a reference to a paper, or at least point us to where you got this information? Tests of this kind over the last 10 years or so have given negative results. If someone has a positive result, it would be revolutionary.

http://www.universetoday.com/11889/high-energy-gamma-rays-go-slower-than-the-speed-of-light/
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/0708.2889
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=189175

Agreed it would be revolutionary. It is interesting because nobody can speak of light when the wavelength is on the Plank scale. Nothing like that has been observed. But in the early Universe light must have been on the Plank scale because the Universe was on the Planck scale. For a time.

What I find most interesting about this idea is that it can be verified. But more data is needed and I can't find any. Can anybody help?

They only claim that it's significant at the level of [itex]2.5\sigma[/itex]. That's not significant enough to convince anybody. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Thanks bcrowell. I agree that more data is needed. With such an extraordinary claim, am surprised that more data is not available either proving or disproving this result. I believe a 2.5 sigma level is significant when speaking of a velocity that should be absolutely constant. However, without further evidence, I agree that it is meaningless.

Last edited:

Related to High energy light slower than lower energies?

What is high energy light?

High energy light refers to electromagnetic radiation with a high frequency and short wavelength, such as gamma rays and x-rays.

How is high energy light slower than lower energies?

High energy light is slower than lower energies because it has a shorter wavelength and higher frequency, which causes it to interact more strongly with matter. This results in a slower propagation speed compared to lower energy light.

What is the relationship between energy and speed of light?

The speed of light, which is approximately 300 million meters per second, is constant regardless of the energy of the light. However, the frequency and wavelength of light are directly proportional to its energy, meaning high energy light will have a shorter wavelength and higher frequency compared to low energy light.

How is high energy light measured?

High energy light is measured using different units depending on the type of light. For example, gamma rays are measured in electron volts (eV) while x-rays are measured in kiloelectron volts (keV). These units represent the amount of energy each photon carries.

What are the applications of high energy light?

High energy light has various applications in different fields such as medical imaging, radiation therapy, and industrial applications. It is also used in scientific research to study the properties of matter and the universe. Additionally, high energy light is used in communication and technology, such as in fiber optic cables.