High Power DAC for SM-10 (0-1000VDC)

In summary: This will give you a small, low-power 12V amplifier. In summary, Jason wants to use a DAC to digitally control the input voltage of a high voltage IC, but he is not sure if there is a DAC out there that can supply the current needed. He also wants to use a regular opamp to amplify the output voltage and current.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I have this High voltage IC I purchased from Gamma high voltage here:

http://www.gammahighvoltage.com/html/series_sm.htm

The one I bought, the SM-10, takes a variable input from 0 to 12VDC and generates an output from 0 to 1000VDC.

I want to find the simplest way to digitally control the input voltage so that I can throttle this IC using a microcontroller. The simplest thing I can think of is a DAC, but I don't know if there are any out there that are capable of driving the chip. The datasheet says that the maximum input current is 85 mA but for my application, I measured the input current to be only about 30 mA. Does anyone know if there is a DAC out there that can supply this much output current at 12V?

If not, my other thought was to use a regular DAC with an Op-amp to scale the output voltage and current, but I just thought I would run the question past you all before going that route.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Berkeman,

Hmm that's the first time I've heard of an R-2R ladder. Looks pretty useful. That would work quite well for my application but unfortunately, I only have three available IO pins to dedicate to this part of the circuit. I was going to use a SPI compatable DAC so that I can get 10 bits of resolution on the output voltage. I was thinking about using the AD7390 10-bit DAC but I'm still looking around for an op-amp that can source the amount of current I need. So far, I keep finding ones that are either too wimpy or to beefy for my application. The best one I found so far is the LT1206 but I'm not sure if it is okay for it to source a constant current (aparently, it's used as some kind of video amplifier). Would you happen to know of any good op-amps that can do at least 30mA @ 12V? Preferably something that isn't in a metal can would be nice since I don't have much room on the board I'm mounting it on.

Thanks,
Jason O

Sounds like you have the DAC covered. You didn't mention the frequency range of this circuit -- if it's audio, you could just use an audio amp module for the post-DAC amplification. I used to use some audio amp modules (like big ICs with heat sinks) from National Semicondoctor, but I don't have any current part numbers. You could probably find them quickly with a search at National Semi's website.

Alternately, just use a regular opamp, and add some BJTs in as a linear amp at the opamp's output, and close the feedback around the whole shebang.

Related to High Power DAC for SM-10 (0-1000VDC)

1. What is a High Power DAC for SM-10 (0-1000VDC)?

A High Power DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) for SM-10 is a device used to convert digital signals into analog signals for the SM-10 power supply. It is capable of providing a range of 0-1000VDC, making it suitable for high power applications.

2. What is the purpose of a High Power DAC for SM-10?

The purpose of a High Power DAC for SM-10 is to provide precise and accurate control over the output voltage of the SM-10 power supply. This is important in applications that require high power and precise voltage regulation, such as in scientific experiments or industrial processes.

3. How does a High Power DAC for SM-10 work?

A High Power DAC for SM-10 works by taking digital input signals and converting them into analog signals using a digital-to-analog converter. The analog signals are then amplified and sent to the SM-10 power supply, which adjusts the output voltage accordingly.

4. What are the advantages of using a High Power DAC for SM-10?

One of the main advantages of using a High Power DAC for SM-10 is its high precision and accuracy in controlling the output voltage. It also allows for easy and convenient adjustment of the voltage using digital inputs, compared to manual adjustments. Additionally, it is designed for high power applications, making it suitable for a wide range of industrial and scientific purposes.

5. How do I choose the right High Power DAC for SM-10?

When choosing a High Power DAC for SM-10, it is important to consider the voltage range and resolution needed for your specific application. You should also ensure compatibility with your SM-10 power supply and any other equipment you will be using. It is recommended to consult with a technical expert to determine the best option for your needs.

Back