High School Course Selection Dilemma

In summary: Statistics is important in order to understand the material in calculus, which is why taking it is a good idea.
S.R
Next year I'll be entering Grade 11 and enrolled in a Calculus and Data Management (statistics) program, where students learn calculus first semester and during the second, divide the period between AP calculus material and data management. However, it's important to know that I'm interesting in applying to engineering or medical science in University and thus, statistics isn't required or relevant. I'm not fascinated by statistics either but it's required in order to learn the AP material which covers Calculus I. Essentially, after Grade 11 (assuming I participated in the program), I would have completed all mathematics courses offered at my high school. This is concerning since I will have a 1 year gap from mathematics. My question is, should I drop the dual credit program and simply take regular Calculus (which excludes integration) and instead have a 1.5 year separation from mathematics rather than 1 year? Honestly, I don't know if the additional data course with be beneficial, but the AP calculus material will. Additionally, I'm curious to know if in Grade 12, I can contact a local University and potentially take a first year Calculus course? I'm not sure if this is possible but, it would allow me to continue my mathematics studies.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to do medical science then at some point you'll want to learn statistics. Everything that comes after the design of an experiment for a new diagnostic procedure or treatment is basically a statistics project. If you do engineering there is still a decent chance you'll want to know statistics depending on what exactly you end up doing.

I haven't considered that perspective, but I included medical science as a potential option, since I would rather pursue Software Engineering. Learning statistics won't hurt but will be rather tedious since I'm required to complete a summer portfolio project.

Statistics is often required for Engineering and pre-med majors. Taking the most challenging courses available to you is good for college admissions and it helps you become a better student.
If you're taking Calculus in high school and score sufficiently on the AP test, don't retake a university's Calc 1 course. You'll die of boredom.
I would ask you to clarify whether you mean AP AB or AP BC Calculus. Universities usually won't let you take their post-AP math classes unless you've exhausted both AP Stats and BC Calc with good scores. But I can only speak of the few in the US I know that offer such programs.

^Do you have a reference for any colleges that require ap calculus bc and statistics? That is nonsensical as many high schools do not offer those courses and many students do not take them when offered. For example in order to take theoretical calculus and calculus based statistics in college.

It's not nonsense. I believe that you are talking about an undergraduate program. Of course undergraduate admissions don't require AP math.

I'm referring to the situation that the OP is in: a high school student that wants to take post-AP classes at a university.

Here is one such program of many that allows high school students to study advanced math, which require AP Math:
http://www.bsu.edu/academy/catalog/

Last edited:
It's AB Calculus and we are required to submit our own transcript of the exam results to the University. Thanks for everyone's input. It seems that Statistics is rather important to science and I'll commit with the AP program. However, are there any other alternatives to continuing mathematics in Grade 12? If not, what do you recommended I start to self-study in my spare time?

^Thank you for the link I collect them. You link to one high school does not support you statement. That high school has one course (Multivariable Calculus) for which BC calculus is recommended and none that recommend AP stats. It aso says students can attend courses at a nearby college, but does not mention your requirement. I do not question that some school somewhere requires exhausted both AP Stats and BC Calc whatever that means, but it would be nonsense as AP stats is a useless course that does not require calculus. I do know that such a requirement is not common.

As to the OP dilemma it is not unheard of that classes be offered in bundle. It makes some sense for related classes which calculus and statistics could be depending on how it is taught. So try to find out if the data class is any good and if it must be taken with calculus. Then decide if it is worth it to take a junk class. It is common to take classes at colleges but depending on distance and timing it may be hard to schedule.

It's required to take both in order to learn AP, but that's only due to fact that we take regular calculus first semester and then statistics/AP material split into one period the next. Since we are required to self-study data in the summer, it balances out.

Related to High School Course Selection Dilemma

1. What factors should I consider when choosing my high school courses?

Some important factors to consider when choosing high school courses include your academic strengths and interests, your future career goals, graduation requirements, and any prerequisite courses for college or specific programs.

2. How do I determine which courses are considered "advanced" or "honors" level?

Advanced or honors level courses typically have more challenging material and require a higher level of critical thinking and independent work. They may also have a different course code or title, and are often designated as such on your transcript or in course descriptions.

3. Is it better to take a variety of courses or focus on one subject area?

It's important to have a balance of courses that challenge you while also aligning with your interests and future goals. Taking a mix of courses in different subject areas can provide a well-rounded education, but you may also want to focus on a specific subject area if you have a strong interest or aptitude in it.

4. Should I take courses that are more challenging or ones that I know I will do well in?

It's important to challenge yourself academically, but it's also important to find a balance. Taking courses that are too difficult may lead to poor grades and a negative impact on your overall GPA. Consider your strengths and interests when choosing courses, but also be willing to push yourself outside of your comfort zone.

5. Can I change my course selections once I have registered?

It depends on your school's policies and procedures. Some schools may allow you to make changes to your course selections within a certain timeframe, while others may have a more strict policy. It's important to speak with your guidance counselor or academic advisor if you have any concerns or need to make changes to your course selections.