High voltage but low current how?

In summary, a transformer produces either high voltage or low voltage depending on the ratio of the number of turns in the primary and the secondary. This goes against the original theory of how current is produced.
stark8
high voltage but low current...how??

we know that the potential difference between two points is the driving force for current , so in this sense more the potential difference or voltage between two points more is the current...

but a transformer produces either very high voltage but low current OR very low voltage but high currents, doesn't this go against the initial theory of how current is produced...?? i.e more the voltage stronger the current.

the expression P = I x V says that if the power is kept constant I is inversely proportional to V...but this contradicts the ohm's law that V= I x R

i've never been able to grasp this concept any help is appreciated...thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Transformers don't PRODUCE anything at all, they just transform electricity from one set of conditions to another, and they have physical limits on how much power they can transfer [that is, any given physical transformer does --- ideal ones can do anything]

Transformers do NOT necessarily output low voltage / high current or low current / high voltage, but because they are limited in the power they can output, and because of the characteristics of the winding, this is often the case.

You are confusing POTENTIAL current for a given voltage with actual current produced by a transformer. If a transformer input is 120 volts and for a given load on the transformer, let's say this particular transformer it draws 3 amps and the output is, say 60 volts, then the POSSIBLE current on the output is 6 amps (assuming no loss for the sake of simplicity) Thus power in = 360 watts , power out = 360 watts. Where's the problem?

stark, think of a cell phone charger. The plug that goes into the wall socket is a transformer. It switches AC to DC power. It does not alter the power. It enables the cellphone for instance to draw a charge at its specified voltage and current.

stark8 said:
we know that the potential difference between two points is the driving force for current , so in this sense more the potential difference or voltage between two points more is the current...

but a transformer produces either very high voltage but low current OR very low voltage but high currents, doesn't this go against the initial theory of how current is produced...?? i.e more the voltage stronger the current.

the expression P = I x V says that if the power is kept constant I is inversely proportional to V...but this contradicts the ohm's law that V= I x R

i've never been able to grasp this concept any help is appreciated...thank you.

Follow this step by step ---
All the transformer does is to change the Voltage (up or down, according to the ratio of the numbers of turns in the primary and the secondary). It is the voltage across the secondary (output winding) that is applied to the load. The current that flows int the load depends upon the secondary volts:
Isecondary = Vsecondary/ Rload

Now, this current, that flows in the secondary, produces a varying magnetic field in the core, which has the effect of governing the current that flows in the primary (input) winding. The result, not surprisingly, is that the Primary Current times the Primary Voltage equals the Secondary Current times the Secondary Voltage. Anything else would violate the conservation of energy principle - which applies everywhere.

Related to High voltage but low current how?

1. How does high voltage but low current work?

High voltage but low current works by increasing the electrical potential difference, or voltage, between two points in a circuit. This creates a strong electric field that allows electricity to flow more easily, resulting in a lower current. This can be achieved through the use of transformers or other electrical components that can increase voltage while decreasing current.

2. Is high voltage but low current dangerous?

Yes, high voltage but low current can be dangerous. While low current may not cause significant harm to the body, high voltage can still cause electric shock and potentially lead to serious injuries or death. It is important to always use caution when working with high voltage circuits and to follow proper safety protocols.

3. What are the advantages of using high voltage but low current?

There are several advantages to using high voltage but low current. It allows for the efficient transmission of electricity over long distances, as high voltage reduces energy loss during transmission. It also allows for smaller and lighter electrical equipment, as lower current means less heat and stress on the components. Additionally, high voltage can be used to power devices that require a high level of electrical energy, such as industrial equipment or electric vehicles.

4. Can high voltage but low current damage electrical devices?

Yes, high voltage but low current can potentially damage electrical devices if not used properly. If the voltage is too high for a particular device, it can cause overheating and damage to the components. It is important to always use the appropriate voltage for a device and to ensure that the voltage is regulated to prevent any potential damage.

5. How is high voltage but low current used in everyday life?

High voltage but low current is used in a variety of everyday devices and applications. It is used in power transmission and distribution to efficiently transfer electricity over long distances. It is also used in household appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners, to power their motors and compressors. In industrial settings, high voltage is used to power heavy machinery and equipment. Additionally, high voltage is used in medical equipment, such as X-ray machines, and in some forms of renewable energy, like solar panels and wind turbines.