High voltage power transmission and joule's law

In summary, power transmission over long distances using DC is more efficient than using AC, but this is not always clear as Ohm's law is not always taken into account.
markem
Hi,

Power transmission over long distances from power plants to local power grids is often done over DC with relatively high voltages/tensions. The argument for this is that since, by Joule's law, power dissipation due to heat by a resistive element is given by I^2 * R, lowering the current as a result of upping the voltage results in less power loss. But what is really puzzling me is that, by Ohm's law, I^2 * R is equal to (V^2)/R (since I = V/R), in which case upping the voltage will result in *increased* loss of power through heat generation.

I must be missing something, but I feel this isn't as clear as most people make it out to be with repeated quotes of I^2 * R without considering other equivalent forms..

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
markem said:
Hi,

Power transmission over long distances from power plants to local power grids is often done over DC with relatively high voltages/tensions. The argument for this is that since, by Joule's law, power dissipation due to heat by a resistive element is given by I^2 * R, lowering the current as a result of upping the voltage results in less power loss. But what is really puzzling me is that, by Ohm's law, I^2 * R is equal to (V^2)/R (since I = V/R), in which case upping the voltage will result in *increased* loss of power through heat generation.

I must be missing something, but I feel this isn't as clear as most people make it out to be with repeated quotes of I^2 * R without considering other equivalent forms..

Thanks a lot!

Power transmission lines use AC, not DC. Transformers need AC in order to work, and transformers are used to raise and lower the voltages for coupling to the HV power transmission lines.

The error in your equation is that the V you are listing is for the (small) voltage *drop* across the wires, not the (high) differential power voltage. Raising the differential power voltage results in lower current I, which also results in lower voltage drop along the wires.

berkeman said:
The error in your equation is that the V you are listing is for the (small) voltage *drop* across the wires, not the (high) differential power voltage. Raising the differential power voltage results in lower current I, which also results in lower voltage drop along the wires.

This answers the question, thanks!

However, about the DC part, often AC is rectified to High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) for long-distance power transmission especially, then run through an inverter and then stepped down through a transformer for local grids. Apparently DC has lower power losses compared to AC for the purposes of large-scale electrical power transmission anyways. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-voltage_direct_current

At any rate you've answered my question regardless of the AC/DC issue. Thanks!

Related to High voltage power transmission and joule's law

1. What is high voltage power transmission?

High voltage power transmission is the process of sending large amounts of electrical energy over long distances through high voltage power lines. This is necessary in order to efficiently transport electricity from power plants to homes and businesses.

2. How does high voltage power transmission work?

High voltage power transmission works by increasing the voltage of the electrical energy before it is sent through the power lines. This allows for more energy to be transmitted without significant losses due to resistance. At the receiving end, the voltage is lowered back down to a safe level for use.

3. What is Joule's law?

Joule's law, also known as the Joule-Lenz law, states that the amount of heat produced by an electrical current is directly proportional to the resistance of the conductor and the square of the current. In other words, the higher the resistance and the current, the more heat will be generated.

4. How does Joule's law relate to high voltage power transmission?

In high voltage power transmission, Joule's law is important because it explains the relationship between the amount of heat generated and the amount of energy being transmitted. By increasing the voltage and decreasing the current, the heat generated can be reduced, making the transmission more efficient.

5. What are the safety concerns related to high voltage power transmission?

High voltage power transmission can be dangerous if not handled properly. The main safety concerns include the risk of electric shock from coming into contact with live power lines, as well as the potential for fires and explosions due to the high voltage and heat generated. Proper safety measures, such as wearing protective gear and following safety protocols, are essential when working with high voltage power transmission systems.