Higher resistance of hair dryer

So, for the 840W setting, the resistance would be 110^2/840 Ω. For the 1320W setting, the resistance would be 110^2/1320 Ω. In summary, the hair dryer has two settings, 840 W and 1320 W. The resistance at each setting would be 110^2/840 Ω and 110^2/1320 Ω, respectively. The equation for power as a function of voltage and resistance can be used to determine these values.
thschica
A hair dryer has two settings: 840 W and 1320 W.
(a) At which setting do you expect the resistance to be higher?
840 W correct
After making a guess, determine the resistance at each setting.
(b) 840 W setting

(c) 1320 W setting

Homework Equations

I am not exactly sure what equation to use to determine the resistance of the two settings.

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried numerous equations such as R =pla but i can't figure it out

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the "guess" part of the question, but whatever.

Use the equation for power as a function of voltage and resistance. If you are in the US, then wall power for a hair dryer would typically be 110Vrms.

. I would need more information such as the voltage and current values at each setting to calculate the resistance using Ohm's law (V=IR). Without that information, I cannot determine the resistance at each setting. However, based on the given information, it is safe to assume that the 1320 W setting would have a higher resistance. This is because higher wattage typically means higher power, which in turn requires more energy to flow through the circuit. This higher energy flow would result in a higher resistance in the hair dryer.

FAQ: Higher resistance of hair dryer

1. Why does a hair dryer with higher resistance take longer to dry hair?

Higher resistance in a hair dryer means that the electrical current has more difficulty flowing through the device. This results in less heat being produced, which in turn takes longer to dry hair.

2. Is a hair dryer with higher resistance less efficient?

Yes, a hair dryer with higher resistance is less efficient. This is because more energy is lost as heat in the device, rather than being used to dry the hair.

3. Can a hair dryer with higher resistance damage hair?

Yes, a hair dryer with higher resistance can potentially damage hair. This is because it takes longer to dry hair, meaning the hair is exposed to heat for a longer period of time.

4. How does the material of the hair dryer affect its resistance?

The material of the hair dryer can affect its resistance in several ways. For example, a metal hair dryer will have lower resistance than a plastic one, as metal is a better conductor of electricity. Additionally, the thickness and length of the hair dryer's cord can also impact its resistance.

5. Can I adjust the resistance of my hair dryer?

No, the resistance of a hair dryer is determined by its design and materials, and cannot be adjusted by the user. However, choosing a hair dryer with a lower resistance may result in faster drying times and potentially less damage to hair.

Back