Highly degenerate semiconductor uses

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible uses of a hypothetical material that behaves like a highly degenerate p-type direct gap semiconductor. The participants suggest that it may be useful for ensuring a good ohmic contact with a metal and for devices such as LEDs and solid state lasers. However, there are also concerns about its efficiency and potential drawbacks compared to other materials. The conversation highlights the importance of filling up the valence band and using it in heterostructures to make useful semiconductors. The possibility of directly injecting electrons for more efficiency is also discussed.
uncanny_man
Hello.
"Hypothetically" let's say that I have a material that intrinsically behaves like a highly degenerate p-type direct gap semiconductor (significant p-orbital contribution to the DOS at and above the fermi level). Can anyone think of what in the world such a material may be useful for? I know that such doping is useful for ensuring a good ohmic contact with a metal, but what devices might that be useful for? Keep in mind, this is intrinsically heavily p-type, I didn't dope it to get it that way and so there is no gradient of p-type carrier (which is typically desirable for pn or pin diodes).
Thanks anyone who reads this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah! The wafer spammers have followed me here!

If intrinsically it had its Fermi energy lying deep inside the conduction band, it will not be called a semiconductor in the first place.

Thats a tough call because, unlike most metallic band diagrams, there is a largish (around 1.6 eV) direct band gap above the the fermi level, valence states, and some of the p-band conduction states. As an intrinsic crystal, it really does more closely resemble the band diagram for a highly degenerate semiconductor than it does a metal, but I'm at a loss as to what such a thing could be useful for...

If it has a direct band gap, then it should be good for LEDs. If you can inject electrons above the band gap, you should get plenty of 1.6eV (780 nm) photons coming out. Unfortunately, that is just below red in the near infrared and technologically not all that interesting.

Now that's an interesting idea. I had been thinking in terms of absorption, I hadn't been thinking in terms of emission. It might actually be interesting as a solid state laser active medium...

GaAs is in the same ball park, and that also has a direct band gap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_gap

However, I am afraid that to make any useful semiconductors out of your mystery compound, you might have to find a way of filling up the valence band (e.g. by doping), or by using it in heterostructures.

In terms of a p-n semiconductor laser, I would agree with you. However, what about a solid state laser (probably optically pumped...)? The low fermi level likely won't help the efficiency, but once the population of electrons is inverted, that direct gap should still lead to lazing as the electrons relax back down, shouldn't it? Thanks M Quack, I appreciate being able to bounce ideas off someone.

Ideally for lasing you want a metastable excited state so that stimulated emission dominates spontaneous emission. Depending on the matrix elements that might not be the case for a direct band gap - to be checked. For example one could try to optically excite the material (as you propose) and then measure the decay time of the luminescence. Then compare to GaAs or similar materials used in semiconductor lasers. I am not sure if you could directly measure the carrier lifetime as your material should be conducting anyways.

I would imagine that direct injection of electrons is much more efficient than optical pumping. You need a higher photon energy/band gap to excite electrons across the gap. So if you want to pump with a semiconductor source (LED) you need CdTe, AlGaAs or similar. Then you have to ask yourself why do the intermediate step, and why not use AlGaAs as laser material in the first place.

I am not an expert, all these arguments are seat-of-the-pants.

Related to Highly degenerate semiconductor uses

1. What is a highly degenerate semiconductor?

A highly degenerate semiconductor is a type of semiconductor material that has a high concentration of free electrons or holes. This occurs when the semiconductor is doped with impurities that introduce extra electrons or holes into the material. As a result, the semiconductor becomes highly conductive, making it useful for various electronic applications.

2. What are the main uses of highly degenerate semiconductors?

Highly degenerate semiconductors have a wide range of uses in electronic devices. Some common applications include as a source of electrons in transistors, as a material for light-emitting diodes (LEDs), and as a component in solar cells. These materials are also used in sensors, lasers, and other electronic devices.

3. How are highly degenerate semiconductors produced?

Highly degenerate semiconductors are produced through a process called doping. This involves introducing impurities, such as phosphorus or boron, into the semiconductor material during its fabrication. These impurities create extra free electrons or holes, which increase the material's conductivity and make it highly degenerate.

4. What are the advantages of using highly degenerate semiconductors?

One of the main advantages of using highly degenerate semiconductors is their high conductivity, which allows for efficient flow of electrical current. This makes them useful in electronic devices such as transistors, which require materials with high conductivity. Additionally, highly degenerate semiconductors have a wide range of potential applications, making them a versatile material for various industries.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using highly degenerate semiconductors?

Although highly degenerate semiconductors have many advantages, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One potential issue is the difficulty in controlling the concentration of free electrons or holes, which can affect the material's properties. Additionally, highly degenerate semiconductors may be more expensive and difficult to produce compared to other semiconductor materials.

Back