Hiking Illness Danger -- Rhabdomyolysis

I found this article online about an illness that few people are aware of that can strike you while doing strenuous hikes

https://thetrek.co/this-illness-could-end-your-hike-or-your-life-and-youve-never-even-heard-of-it/

When planning for a thru-hike, there are so many things to consider. Many people find it comforting to consider the worst-case scenarios. Working through these problems in your mind beforehand may make them easier to overcome if the situation ever arises.

If you are planning for a thru-hike you likely have heard of norovirus, giardia, or tendonitis. Perhaps you’ve researched major gear failures and studied how to avoid blisters heat stroke, frostbite, dehydration, etc. All problems you might face while thru-hiking.

But what would you say if I told you there was an even more dangerous ailment that could plague your thru-hike? Something that could end your thru-hike, or even your life, if you didn’t diagnose it soon enough. Would you be surprised to learn that such an illness exists — and that you’ve likely never even heard of it?

Back in June I set out on the 3,000-mile Continental Divide Trail. This trail stretches from Canada to Mexico and goes across Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. I decided to hike southbound in hopes of avoiding deep snow in Colorado’s San Juans.

Just like any other thru-hike, I considered and planned for all the pitfalls I mentioned above. I’ve gotten norovirus on trail before and dealt with tendonitis. I’ve also ridden the risky edge of hypothermia, dehydration, and heat stroke. Over the last few years, I’ve hiked 10,000+ miles across the United States and Canada.

If you had asked me what my biggest concern was when embarking on my latest thru-hike, I probably would have told you tendonitis or something similar. But over the last few weeks, I have gained a new worst fear when it comes to thru-hiking.

And its name is rhabdomyolysis.

Likes pinball1970 and Lnewqban