Hilbert Space: Closest point property

In summary, the theorem about the closest point property says that if a convex, closed subspace of a Hilbert space is chosen, then there exists a point in the subspace that is closest to any other point in the subspace. Additionally, this point remains convex and closed in translations.
P3X-018

Homework Statement

The theorem about the closest point property says:
If A is a convex, closed subspace of a hilbert space H, then

[tex] \forall x \in H\,\, \exists y \in A:\,\,\,\, \| x-y\| = \inf_{a\in A}\|x-a\|[/tex]

I have to show that it is enough to show this theorem for x = 0 only, by using the isometry [itex]T_{x_0}(x) = x_0 + x [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

So I would have to show that [itex] \exists y \in A [/itex] such that [itex]\|y\| = \inf_{a\in A}\|a\|[/itex], that is if A contains an element with least length, than for any point x in H there is a point in A that is closest to x, than any other in A.
Then what?
Any hint is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If A is a subspace, the claim [itex]\exists y[/itex] so that [itex]\|y\| = \textrm{inf}_{a\in A} \|a\|[/itex], is trivial, because such y is the origo. So I suppose the A was not supposed to be assumed to be a subspace. A being convex and closed should be enough. Then... A remains convex and closed in translations.

Yeah that's right. A isn't assumed to be a subspace, just a subset.
And you are saying that "A remains convex and closed in translations", how can this be used to show what I want. Because [itex] x -a [/itex] need not lie in A, so I can't use the property with least length. Or how would I be able to use it?

I needed to stop and think myself... but let's see, I think I got this.

One hint that I must give you, is that draw pictures! These are kind of tasks where there is too many different things that you can start doing, and it's difficult to guess what you are supposed to start doing without first drawing some kind of picture.

A set

[tex]
-x + A = \{-x+a\;|\; a\in A\}
[/tex]

seems to can handy. Choose [itex]y'\in -x+A[/itex] so that it has the smallest norm in this set. Then the desired y should be almost found.

Related to Hilbert Space: Closest point property

What is Hilbert space?

Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that refers to a complete, infinite-dimensional vector space. It is named after the German mathematician David Hilbert and is used in functional analysis, quantum mechanics, and other areas of mathematics and physics.

What is the closest point property in Hilbert space?

The closest point property in Hilbert space states that every non-empty, closed, and convex subset of a Hilbert space contains a unique point that is closest to any given point in the space. This is also known as the projection theorem and is a fundamental property of Hilbert space.

Why is the closest point property important?

The closest point property is important because it allows us to approximate a point in a Hilbert space with a point in a subset of the space. This is useful in solving optimization problems and understanding the structure of Hilbert space.

Is the closest point property unique to Hilbert space?

No, the closest point property is not unique to Hilbert space. It also holds in other complete metric spaces such as Banach spaces and Euclidean spaces. However, Hilbert space has additional properties that make it a powerful tool in mathematics and physics.

Can the closest point property be extended to other types of spaces?

Yes, the closest point property can be extended to other types of spaces such as metric spaces and topological vector spaces. However, the concept of a closest point may differ in these spaces, and the property may not hold in all cases.