History of CMB, prediction of 1 in 100,000?

• B
  • Thread starter windy miller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
windy miller
Variations in the tamperatureo of the CMB are 1 part in 100,00. My understanding is that this was first measured by COBE, But was this value predicted?
What were the ranges of estimates for its value before it was measured?

Space news on Phys.org
Robert Dicke predicted the CMB while developing radar receivers beginning in the 1940s into 1960s. Dicke strongly encouraged the working group at Bell Labs who first detected the CMB radiation on the Homdel horn antenna. Dicke's Princeton research group verified the discovery and documented the second CMB detection using a super-cooled receiver of his design.

In the early 1960s, work on Brans–Dicke theory led Dicke to think about the early Universe, and with Jim Peebles he re-derived the prediction of a cosmic microwave background (having allegedly forgotten the earlier prediction of George Gamow and co-workers). Dicke, with David Todd Wilkinson and Peter G. Roll, immediately began building a Dicke radiometer to search for the radiation.

They were preceded by the accidental detection made by Arno Penzias and Robert Woodrow Wilson (also using a Dicke radiometer), who were working at Bell Labs near Princeton.[11][12] Nevertheless, Dicke's group made the second clean detection, and their theoretical interpretation of Penzias and Wilson's results showed that theories of the early universe had moved from pure speculation into well-tested physics.[13][14]

I read a paper by Steven Weinberg (IMS) describing expected thermal variations in CMBr based on Brans-Dicke theory confirmed by COBE measurements. I would like to say Weinberg predicted 10-5 anisotropies but need to locate the relevant texts and publication dates. George Gamov likely maintains precedence, as the above excerpt describes.

Last edited:
Let me know if you find it thanks.

windy miller said:
Let me know if you find it thanks.
No, I did find revisions to his cosmology primer "First Three Minutes" that include CMBr (rev 3) and significance of anisotropies (rev 6 ), not a peer reviewed pub but in the OP period of interest.

Weinberg published numerous cosmology papers on the topic but not specifically "predictive".
From early this century:
astro-ph gr-qc hep-th
A No-Truncation Approach to Cosmic Microwave Background Anisotropies​
Authors: Steven Weinberg
Abstract: We offer a method of calculating the source term in the line-of-sight integral for cosmic microwave background anisotropies without using a truncated partial-wave expansion in the Boltzmann hierarchy.​