-Hmomorphism @:Z_2->Z_4 &Z_2->Z_6

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
In summary, Urgent!-Hmomorphism @:Z_2-->Z_4 &Z_2-->Z_6 shows that there is no injective ring homomorphism between the two sets, but does not provide a proof.
sutupidmath
Urgent!-Hmomorphism @:Z_2-->Z_4 &Z_2-->Z_6

Homework Statement

THis is probbably very easy, just i am kinda bogged down:

(a) Show that the mapping [tex]\theta:Z_2-->Z_6[/tex] with [tex] \theta(\bar 0)=\bar 0, \theta(\bar 1)=\bar 3[/tex]

Is an injective ring homomorphism?
(b) Show that there is no injective ring homomorphism [tex]\theta:Z_2-->Z_4[/tex]
Proof:

(a) Well, i said since [tex]\bar 0 =/=\bar 3[/tex] in Z_6 then such theta is injective.
Now to establish homomorphism, i proceded

[tex]\theta(\bar 0 \bar 1)=\theta(\bar 0)=\bar 0[/tex]
[tex]\theta(\bar 0)\theta(\bar 1)=\bar 0[/tex] so they are equal

[tex]\theta(\bar 0+\bar 1)=\thta(\bar 1)=\bar 3[/tex]
[tex]\thetea(\bar 0)+\theta(\bar 1)=\bar 3[/tex]

So, i concluded that we have a homomorphism

Well, this didn't cause me any problems, as far as my understanding goes. However, i am having trouble on the second part:

(b) I started like this:

In order for [tex]\theta:Z_2-->Z_4[/tex] to be a homomorphism, if [tex]\theta(\bar a)=\bar b, \bar a \in Z_2, \bar b \in Z_4[/tex] then we should have the following [tex]o(\bar b)|o(\bar a)[/tex] ( i think there is a theorem that says this)

So, looking at the orders of the elements in both rings, we notice that the only such possibility is:

[tex]\theta(\bar 0)=\bar 0, \theta(\bar 1)=\bar 2[/tex]

Now, i am failing to show that this is not an injective homomorphism.

Here is what i am doing:

[tex]\theta(\bar 0 \bar 1)=\theta(\bar 0)=\bar 0[/tex]

[tex]\theta(\bar 0)\theta(\bar 1)=\bar 0[/tex]

[tex]\theta(\bar 0 +\bar 1)=\theta(\bar 1)=\bar 2[/tex]

[tex] \theta(\bar 0)+\theta(\bar 1)=\bar 2[/tex]

So, by this reasoning it looks to me that such a mapping is a homomorphism.

However, now everything that i am trying is also 'showing' that such a theta is also injective.

SO, how to show that theta is not injective/?

Many thanks in return!

Physics news on Phys.org

[tex]\theta(1) = 2 [/tex] gives us

[tex]\theta(1^2) = \theta(1)^2 = 2^2 = 4 = 0[/tex]

Whoops

Office_Shredder said:
[tex]\theta(1) = 2 [/tex] gives us

[tex]\theta(1^2) = \theta(1)^2 = 2^2 = 4 = 0[/tex]

Whoops

Well since [tex]\theta:\bar 1->\bar 0, and \bar 1-> \bar 2[/tex] this, from my point of view, would mean that theta is not a mapping at all right, since it is violating the definition of a mapping, right? To show that a mapping is not injective wouldn't we need something like this:

[tex] If, x_1=/=x_2=/>\theta(x_1)=/=\theta(x_2)[/tex]

Or, if [tex]\theta(a)=\theta(b)=/>a=b[/tex] ??

[tex]=/>[/tex] stands for "Does not follow"

So, how would that tell us that theta is not injective? Pardone my ignorance!

Related to -Hmomorphism @:Z_2->Z_4 &Z_2->Z_6

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a mathematical object. In other words, it maps elements from one object to another in a way that respects the operations and relationships within the objects.

2. What does "-Hmomorphism" mean in this context?

In this context, "-Hmomorphism" refers to a specific type of homomorphism called an anti-homomorphism. Unlike a regular homomorphism, an anti-homomorphism preserves the inverse of the operation instead of the operation itself.

3. What is the significance of the notation "@:Z_2->Z_4 &Z_2->Z_6" in this homomorphism?

The notation "@:Z_2->Z_4 &Z_2->Z_6" specifies the specific objects involved in the homomorphism. In this case, it means that the homomorphism maps elements from the group of integers modulo 2 (Z_2) to the group of integers modulo 4 (Z_4) and to the group of integers modulo 6 (Z_6).

4. How is a homomorphism different from an isomorphism?

While a homomorphism preserves the structure of a mathematical object, an isomorphism also preserves the distinctiveness of the elements within the object. This means that an isomorphism is a one-to-one mapping, while a homomorphism can map multiple elements to the same element.

5. What are some real-world applications of homomorphisms?

Homomorphisms have many applications in various fields, including computer science, cryptography, and physics. In computer science, homomorphisms are used in data compression and encryption algorithms. In cryptography, they are used for secure communication and data protection. In physics, homomorphisms are used to study symmetries and conservation laws in physical systems.