HNO2 Resonance: Liquid Phase Impact?

• B
  • Thread starter Karan Punjabi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resonance
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of resonance in a molecule of HNO2 and whether the state of matter affects this resonance. The speaker suggests that due to the stability provided by hydrogen bonds in the liquid phase, there may not be any resonance. However, the other speaker points out that this may not be the case and that other forms of resonance may still exist. The conversation suggests further research and analysis to determine the presence of resonance in HNO2 in the liquid phase.
Karan Punjabi
Guys, consider a molecule of HNO2, in this molecule there will be resonance for its stability. But i want to ask that do states of matter makes a difference in Resonance or not? Because I think in liquid phase there will be no resonance in HNO2 ? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Karan Punjabi said:
Guys, consider a molecule of HNO2, in this molecule there will be resonance for its stability. But i want to ask that do states of matter makes a difference in Resonance or not? Because I think in liquid phase there will be no resonance in HNO2 ? Please help.

What's so special about HNO2 that it won't have a "resonance" in its liquid phase? After all, most, if not all, molecules will have some form of resonance states in the liquid phase. See, for example, H2O:

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/water_vibrational_spectrum.html

This really should have been posted in the Atomic/Molecular/Solid State forum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
What's so special about HNO2 that it won't have a "resonance" in its liquid phase? After all, most, if not all, molecules will have some form of resonance states in the liquid phase. See, for example, H2O:

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/water_vibrational_spectrum.html

This really should have been posted in the Atomic/Molecular/Solid State forum.

Zz.
I think due to stability given by hydrogen bonds in the liquid phase there might not be any resonance . Am I right?

Karan Punjabi said:
I think due to stability given by hydrogen bonds in the liquid phase there might not be any resonance . Am I right?

I don't know. But even if this is true (it isn't true for water), why would any other resonance associated with other bonds be gone? The fact that it is still a molecule means that there are still vibrational modes present.

Have you done a search on any UV-VIS measurement of this molecule in liquid phase?

Zz.

Related to HNO2 Resonance: Liquid Phase Impact?

1. What is HNO2 resonance?

HNO2 resonance refers to the phenomenon of the nitrous acid molecule (HNO2) existing in multiple forms due to the delocalization of electrons within the molecule. This results in the molecule having different structures or resonance forms, which can affect its properties and behavior.

2. How does HNO2 resonance affect its liquid phase impact?

HNO2 resonance can impact the properties of the molecule in its liquid phase, such as its acidity and stability. This is because the different resonance forms have varying levels of stability, which can affect the overall reactivity and behavior of the molecule in the liquid phase.

3. What factors influence HNO2 resonance in the liquid phase?

The main factors that influence HNO2 resonance in the liquid phase include the surrounding solvent, temperature, and pH. The solvent can affect the stability of the different resonance forms, while temperature and pH can alter the distribution of the forms present in the liquid phase.

4. How is HNO2 resonance studied in the liquid phase?

HNO2 resonance in the liquid phase can be studied using various spectroscopic techniques, such as infrared spectroscopy and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). These methods can provide information on the different resonance forms present and their relative stabilities.

5. What are the practical applications of studying HNO2 resonance in the liquid phase?

Understanding HNO2 resonance in the liquid phase is important in various fields, including environmental chemistry, pharmaceuticals, and materials science. It can help in predicting the behavior and reactivity of the molecule in different conditions, as well as in developing more efficient and stable compounds.