Hölder's inequality for sequences.

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hölder's inequality and its application in the convergence of sequences in the spaces \ell_{p} and \ell_{q}. The speaker is trying to prove the inequality for \mathbb{R}^{n} by following a similar proof, but is stuck on justifying why the series for x and y converge in order to apply the proof. The expert suggests adapting the proof by showing that \frac{|x_ny_n|}{\|(x_n)_n\|_p\|(y_n)_n\|_q}\leq \frac{1}{p}\frac{|x_n|^p}{\|(x_n)_n\|_p}+\frac{1}{
ELESSAR TELKONT

Homework Statement

Let [itex]1\leq p,q[/itex] that satisfy [itex]p+q=pq[/itex] and [itex]x\in\ell_{p},\, y\in\ell_{q}[/itex]. Then
[itex]
\begin{align}
\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left\vert x_{k}y_{k}\right\vert\leq\left(\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left\vert x_{k}\right\vert^{p}\right)^{\frac{1}{p}}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left\vert y_{k}\right\vert^{q}\right)^{\frac{1}{q}}
\end{align}
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Hölder's inequality for [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] and convergence conditions of sequences in [itex]\ell_{r}[/itex], that is:
[itex]
\begin{align}
\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left\vert x_{k}\right\vert^{r}<\infty
\end{align}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove the result from the inequality for [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex], but I have a missing part that I don't get to prove, that is: proving that
[itex]
\begin{align}
\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left\vert x_{k}y_{k}\right\vert
\end{align}
[/itex]
converges given convergence conditions over x, y. Could you give me ideas! This is not a homework task. I'm reviewing some analysis topics.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you prove the inequality for [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]?? Can you adapt the proof?

The problem I have is not the proof itself, but the convergence of the LHS of the inequality. How can I prove it is the question. Obviously in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] you don't need to check any convergence, then you have no manner to parallel that part of the proof.

In other words: I have followed the proof for [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] and proven the inequality for sequences, but I failed to justify why I can do it since I don't know how to prove that if the series for x, y converge with the convergence condition for that sequence spaces then the series in LHS converges.

The result for [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] is

Let [itex]1\leq p,q[/itex] that satisfy [itex]p+q=pq[/itex] and [itex]x,y\in\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex]. Then
[itex]
\begin{align}
\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left\vert x_{k}y_{k}\right\vert\leq\left(\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left\vert x_{k}\right\vert^{p}\right)^{\frac{1}{p}}\left( \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left\vert y_{k}\right\vert^{q}\right)^{\frac{1}{q}}
\end{align}
[/itex]

Maybe you can start by proving that

[tex]\frac{|x_ny_n|}{\|(x_n)_n\|_p\|(y_n)_n\|_q}\leq \frac{1}{p}\frac{|x_n|^p}{\|(x_n)_n\|_p}+\frac{1}{q}\frac{|y_n|^q}{\|(y_n)_n\|_q}[/tex]

In general if [itex]0<\lambda <1[/itex] and a,b are nonnegative, then

[tex]a^\lambda b^{1-\lambda}\leq \lambda a+(1-\lambda)b[/tex]

Why I can't see that! that's another version of the Young's inequality. thanks for that illuminating idea.

FAQ: Hölder's inequality for sequences.

1. What is Hölder's inequality for sequences?

Hölder's inequality for sequences is a mathematical concept that states the relationship between the elements of two sequences and their product. It is named after the German mathematician Otto Hölder.

2. How is Hölder's inequality for sequences expressed mathematically?

Hölder's inequality can be expressed in the form of an equation:
|Σ(anbn)| ≤ (Σ|an|p)1/p(Σ|bn|q)1/q
where an and bn are elements of two sequences, and p and q are positive real numbers such that 1/p + 1/q = 1.

3. What is the significance of Hölder's inequality for sequences in mathematics?

Hölder's inequality is an important concept in mathematics, particularly in the fields of analysis and functional analysis. It is used to prove other important theorems and inequalities, such as the Minkowski inequality and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.

4. Can Hölder's inequality be extended to more than two sequences?

Yes, Hölder's inequality can be extended to multiple sequences. In this case, the equation takes the form of:
|Σ(anbncn...)| ≤ (Σ|an|p)1/p(Σ|bn|q)1/q(Σ|cn|r)1/r...
where an, bn, cn, etc. are elements of multiple sequences, and p, q, r, etc. are positive real numbers such that 1/p + 1/q + 1/r + ... = 1.

5. What are some applications of Hölder's inequality for sequences?

Hölder's inequality has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to prove the convergence of series, the existence of solutions to certain differential equations, and to study the properties of functions. It is also used in signal processing, probability theory, and statistics.