Hollow Shaft Torsion: Power Transmitted Calculation

In summary, the power transmitted by a turbine shaft with a diameter of 1 m and thickness of 25 mm, rotating at 240 rev/min and limited to a maximum shear stress of 69 MPa, can be calculated using the formula P=(2pi*240*T)/(60*10^6), where T is equal to pi*(1000^4-950^4)*69/(32*100). The correct answer should be approximately 66 MW. To get the correct answer, the radius should be calculated as (1000+950)/2=975 mm, and the units should be kept consistent throughout the calculations.
Solidsam

Homework Statement

A turbine shaft is to transmit power at 240 rev/min. If the shaft is 1 m external diameter and 25 mm thick and the maximum shear stress is limited to 69 MPa, find the power transmitted.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

T=J*stress/r = pi(1000^4-950^4) * 69/(32*100)

P=(2pi*240*T)/(60*10^6)

The answer should be 66GW whoch I am not getting. Can somebody please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formulas look basically OK. Check your units.

You mentioned the result should be 66 GW. Check if this should be 66 megawatts (MW).

Some quick comments:
- You seem use the diameter instead of radius.
- I don't understand how you can get 4th power when integrating torque.
- It is difficult to check your results when you divorce the scale units from the values. I recommend that you keep the scale and unit with the values so you for instance would write "(240 rev/min)(2.5 MNm)" instead of "(240*2.5)/(60*10^6)"
- For what it is worth I get a value slightly below 66 MW (as edgepflow also mentions), and almost no difference whether I use a properly integrated torque or just a "linearized" approximation.

Filip Larsen: Fourth power is correct. I agree with your fourth bullet. Well said.

Solidsam: Your value for radius r is incorrect. And 10^6 is incorrect. Try again.

nvn said:
Filip Larsen: Fourth power is correct.

Right, forgot that the stress is not constant along the radius and was also slow in recognizing the polar moment in the first equation used by the OP. My apologies.

nvn said:
Solidsam: Your value for radius r is incorrect. And 10^6 is incorrect. Try again.

So what should I do to get the correct answer?

r=500^4-475^4 ?

what should it be instead of 10^6 ?

Solidsam: No, your diameters in post 1 were correct, but your value for radius r in post 1 was wrong. See the suggestion in the third bullet of post 3. Try again.

Related to Hollow Shaft Torsion: Power Transmitted Calculation

1. What is hollow shaft torsion?

Hollow shaft torsion is the twisting or rotational force that is applied to a hollow cylindrical component, such as a shaft or tube.

2. How is power transmitted calculated for hollow shaft torsion?

The power transmitted through a hollow shaft due to torsion can be calculated using the formula: P = T * ω, where P is power, T is the applied torque, and ω is the angular velocity of the shaft.

3. What factors affect the power transmitted in hollow shaft torsion?

The power transmitted in hollow shaft torsion is affected by the material properties of the shaft, the applied torque, the length and diameter of the shaft, and the angular velocity of the shaft.

4. How does the material of the shaft affect power transmission in hollow shaft torsion?

The material of the shaft plays a crucial role in power transmission in hollow shaft torsion. A stronger and stiffer material will be able to withstand higher torque without deforming, resulting in higher power transmission. On the other hand, a weaker or more flexible material may deform or fail under high torque, resulting in lower power transmission.

5. What are the practical applications of hollow shaft torsion?

Hollow shaft torsion is commonly used in mechanical systems to transmit power from a motor to a machine or device. It is also used in the design of various rotating components, such as propellers, turbines, and gearboxes.