Homework Help: Find the Electric Flux Through a Hole In a Sphere

In summary: Yes, do that and if something cancels out, so be it. You will have a simpler expression to deal with.Thanks guys. Really appreciate your help and support.
Pratik007789

Homework Statement

[/B]
An uncharged nonconductive hollow sphere of radius 10.0 cm surrounds a 20.0 µC charge located at the origin of a cartesian coordinate system. A drill with a radius of 1.00 mm is aligned along the z axis, and a hole is drilled in the sphere. Calculate the electric flux through the hole.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Volume charge distribution = Q/V
Flux = q/ε0 = EA

The Attempt at a Solution

In the picture
But the answer is coming out to be wrong

Attachments

• 1524429793988596558486.jpg
    1524429793988596558486.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 781
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please try to Upload your work again so that it is not sideways? Thanks.

Also, I didn't look at your work yet (since it was sideways), but are the dielectric constant and the thickness of the non-conducting sphere given?

I looked at your work and I was able to read it because I have a laptop that I can rotate 90o. Your method is correct, you multiply the total flux Q/ε0 by the ratio of the areas of hole to sphere. The only problem is that the area of the sphere is not πr2. If you use the correct expression for the area, you will be OK.

Likes berkeman
kuruman said:
I looked at your work and I was able to read it because I have a laptop that I can rotate 90o. Your method is correct, you multiply the total flux Q/ε0 by the ratio of the areas of hole to sphere. The only problem is that the area of the sphere is not πr2. If you use the correct expression for the area, you will be OK.
But If I we have to ratio at the end then the other terms like 2, π won't cancel out? Any support would be appreciated

Pratik007789 said:
But If I we have to ratio at the end then the other terms like 2, π won't cancel out? Any support would be appreciated
Not sure what you mean, but I feel you have not understood kuruman's response. What is the surface area of a sphere radius r? Use that instead of the πr2 that you used.

haruspex said:
What is the surface area of a sphere radius r? Use that instead of the πr2 that you used.
Yes, do that and if something cancels out, so be it. You will have a simpler expression to deal with.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your help and support.

Related to Homework Help: Find the Electric Flux Through a Hole In a Sphere

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given area. It is a scalar quantity that represents the number of electric field lines passing through a given surface area.

2. How do you calculate electric flux?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the area vector. The formula for electric flux is Φ = E * A * cosθ, where E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface.

3. What is the unit of electric flux?

The SI unit of electric flux is volt-meters (V·m), but it can also be expressed in other units such as N·m²/C or Wb (webers).

4. What is the significance of finding the electric flux through a hole in a sphere?

Calculating the electric flux through a hole in a sphere allows us to determine the amount of electric field passing through the surface of the sphere. This is useful in understanding the behavior of electric fields and can help in solving problems related to electric charges and forces.

5. Can you find the electric flux through a hole in a sphere if the electric field is not uniform?

Yes, the electric flux through a hole in a sphere can still be calculated if the electric field is not uniform. In this case, the area vector must be divided into small areas, and the dot product of the electric field and each small area must be calculated separately. The sum of these dot products will give the total electric flux through the hole in the sphere.