Homework help.... Strokes of pump to raise a ram

In summary, the conversation involves a question about a hydraulic jack and its load piston and plunger diameter. The first part of the question asks for the force required to raise a load of 2500Kg, and the second part asks for the number of strokes needed to raise the load by 180mm. The person asking the question has calculated an answer for the first part, but is unsure if it is correct. They are also stuck on the second part and are looking for guidance on how to approach it. They mention not having enough information and ask for clarification on the concept of static pressures and volumes in hydraulic jacks.
cps.13
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Hi all,

I have this question in my HND...

A hydraulic jack has a load piston diameter of 150mm and a plunger diameter of 25mm.

a) Ignoring losses, calculate the force required on the plunger to raise a load of 2500Kg.

I have calculated my answer (correct or not i don't know) to be:

11.58Kg

a) Calculate how many strokes of the plunger will be required to raise the load by 180mm, if each stroke of the plunger is 100mm long.

I am stuck on this one, there is nothing about it in my learning material and I cannot find it online. To me the obvious is

180 / 100 = 1.8 but I'm positive this is wrong as its far, far too simple!

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show how you worked out your answer to part a. I think the answer is wrong.
To the other part a, so far so good. But what have you found? And why?

As far as having no information about it, what do you know about hydraulic jacks? (Specifically, about static pressures, and about volumes?)

Related to Homework help.... Strokes of pump to raise a ram

1. What is the purpose of using a pump to raise a ram?

The purpose of using a pump to raise a ram is to increase the water pressure and flow rate in a hydraulic system. This is achieved by using the pump to transfer mechanical energy to the water, causing it to move and create pressure.

2. How does a pump raise a ram?

A pump raises a ram by using a source of mechanical energy, such as an electric motor or a diesel engine, to power the movement of pistons or impellers. These pistons or impellers push the water through the pump and into the hydraulic system, raising the ram and increasing water pressure.

3. What factors affect the effectiveness of a pump in raising a ram?

There are several factors that can affect the effectiveness of a pump in raising a ram, including the type of pump used, the size and speed of the pump, the type and viscosity of the liquid being pumped, and the efficiency of the pump itself.

4. Are there different types of pumps that can be used to raise a ram?

Yes, there are several different types of pumps that can be used to raise a ram, including centrifugal pumps, positive displacement pumps, and hydraulic pumps. The type of pump used will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the hydraulic system.

5. How can I determine the appropriate number of strokes of a pump to raise a ram?

The appropriate number of strokes of a pump to raise a ram will depend on the specific design and configuration of the hydraulic system, as well as the desired water pressure and flow rate. It is best to consult with a hydraulic engineer or refer to the pump's user manual for specific guidelines and recommendations.