Homogeneous ODE system, how to solve using WOLFRAM

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a homogeneous ODE with constant coefficient system in the form of a 2x2 matrix using wolfram or matlab. It also mentions using the exp(A) function in Matlab to solve the system.
kougou
Hi.

If I have a homogeneous ODE with constant coefficient system in the form of 2x2 matrix:

X'=A X, A is a 2x2 matrix.

How do I solve this using wolfram or matlab?

Physics news on Phys.org
kougou said:
Hi.

If I have a homogeneous ODE with constant coefficient system in the form of 2x2 matrix:

What is the system explicitly?

Dustinsfl said:
What is the system explicitly?

Say

X'= [2, 4] X.
[1, 1]

A with with 2,4 in the top rows, and 1,1 in the bottom rows.

How do I use wolfram or MATLAB to solve this system?

kougou said:
Say

X'= [2, 4] X.
[1, 1]

A with with 2,4 in the top rows, and 1,1 in the bottom rows.

How do I use wolfram or MATLAB to solve this system?

We can re-write the system as
\begin{alignat*}{5}
x' & = & 2x+4y & = & 0\\
y' & = & x + y & = & 0
\end{alignat*}

DSolve[{x'[t]==2x[t]+4y[t],y'[t]==x[t]+y[t], Initial Conditions here},{x[t],y[t]},t]

kougou said:
Hi.

I do not have access to Matlab, so I don't know the answer to the following: does Matlab have a exp(A) function for a matrix A? If so, we have X(t) = X(0) exp(A*t).

FAQ: Homogeneous ODE system, how to solve using WOLFRAM

1. What is a Homogeneous ODE system?

A Homogeneous ODE system is a set of differential equations that can be represented in the form of a matrix, where all the elements are functions of the same independent variable. In simpler terms, it is a system of equations with equal number of variables and equations, where each equation is in the form of a derivative.

2. How can WOLFRAM be used to solve a Homogeneous ODE system?

WOLFRAM is a powerful computational software that can be used to solve mathematical problems, including Homogeneous ODE systems. It has built-in algorithms that can handle complex systems of equations and provide accurate solutions. WOLFRAM is user-friendly and offers step-by-step instructions, making it a popular choice for solving ODE systems.

3. What are the advantages of using WOLFRAM to solve a Homogeneous ODE system?

One of the main advantages of using WOLFRAM is its ability to handle complex systems of equations, including those with many variables and equations. It also provides accurate solutions and offers various methods of solving, such as numerical and analytical solutions. Additionally, WOLFRAM offers a user-friendly interface and provides detailed step-by-step instructions.

4. Are there any limitations to using WOLFRAM to solve a Homogeneous ODE system?

Like any other software, WOLFRAM also has its limitations. It may not be able to solve certain types of ODE systems, especially those with discontinuous or non-analytical solutions. Additionally, using WOLFRAM requires some knowledge of programming and mathematical concepts, which may be a limitation for some users.

5. Can WOLFRAM be used to visualize the solutions of a Homogeneous ODE system?

Yes, WOLFRAM offers visualization tools that can be used to plot the solutions of a Homogeneous ODE system. This is especially helpful in understanding the behavior of the system and identifying any patterns or trends. WOLFRAM also allows for the manipulation of parameters to see how they affect the solutions, making it a useful tool for analysis and experimentation.

Back