Homology of CP^1, complex projective 1-space

• Thread starter Bacle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses using Mayer-Vietoris to compute the homology of CP^1, the complex projective 1-space embedded in C^2-{(0,0)}. The speaker is trying to practice using M.-V, but is having trouble finding a topological S^1 and a contractible space. They mention using the standard charts for CP^1 as a manifold and A/\B as a topological S^1, but do not see how it is a topological S^1. The other person suggests thinking of CP^1 as S^2 and using U=CP^1\[0,1] and V=CP^1\[1,0] as a way to find a top
Bacle
Hi again:

I was trying to use Mayer-Vietoris to compute the homology of CP^1 , the

complex projective 1-space embedded in C^2-{(0,0)}. ( I know cellular

homology would have been much easier, but I am trying to practice using M.-V).

Problem is , I need to get a(n) topological S^1 somewhere , in either A,B or A/\B,

and a contractible space, but I don't see where I can get the S^1 from.

The sets A,B I am using I think are the standard charts for CP^1 as a manifold:

We have :

1) A= [z1,z2] : z1 not 0 (with the chart map [z1,z2]-->z2/z1

2) B=[z1,z2] :z2 not 0 (chart map is z1/z2)

I think A/\B (intersection) consists of the 16 open cuadrants of R^4 ,

and each of these intersections (implying that each of A,B is contractible)

, but I do not see how A/\B is a topological S^1 .

Any Ideas.?

Physics news on Phys.org
CP^1 is S^2. Think of the lower hemisphere and the upper hemisphere, thickened so that they intersect on an open set which retracts onto the equator.

In the language of CP^1, take U=CP^1\[0,1] and V=CP^1\[1,0]. They intersect on C\{0} (map is [z_0,z_1] -> z_0/z_1) which definitely retracts onto S^1.

Related to Homology of CP^1, complex projective 1-space

1. What is CP^1 and what does it represent?

CP^1, also known as complex projective 1-space, is a mathematical concept that represents the set of all one-dimensional complex subspaces of a complex vector space. It is often used in mathematics and physics to study symmetry and transformations.

2. What is the significance of homology in CP^1?

Homology is a mathematical tool used to study the topological properties of spaces. In the context of CP^1, homology helps to determine the number of holes or voids in the space, which can provide insights into its structure and properties.

3. How is homology of CP^1 calculated?

The homology of CP^1 can be calculated using algebraic topology techniques, specifically through the use of the Mayer-Vietoris sequence. This involves breaking down CP^1 into smaller, more manageable pieces and then using their homology to calculate the overall homology of the space.

4. What are some real-world applications of homology of CP^1?

The homology of CP^1 has various applications in different fields, such as physics, geometry, and computer science. In physics, it can be used to study the symmetries of particles and their interactions. In geometry, it can help to classify surfaces and understand their properties. In computer science, it has applications in data analysis and machine learning.

5. How does homology of CP^1 relate to other mathematical concepts?

Homology of CP^1 is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as cohomology, homotopy, and homotopy groups. These concepts all stem from algebraic topology and help to study the properties of spaces and transformations. They are also used in other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry and algebraic geometry.