Homology of spheres from the M-V sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of the circle into open sets and the corresponding Mayer-Vietoris sequence in reduced homology. The mistake of assuming that the reduced homology of S^0 is equal to the direct sum of its connected components is pointed out, and it is clarified that this only holds for unreduced homology. The formula for relative homology is also mentioned.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi everyone.

Take the open sets A=S^1 - N and B=S^1 - S, that is, the circle minus the north and south pole resp.. Noting that AnB=S^0 and that A and B are contractible, the Mayer-Vietoris sequence in reduced homology for this decomposition writes,

[tex]\ldots \rightarrow \widetilde{H}_n(\mathbb{S}^0)\rightarrow 0\oplus 0\rightarrow \widetilde{H}_n(\mathbb{S}^1)\rightarrow\widetilde{H}_{n-1}(\mathbb{S}^0)\rightarrow 0\oplus 0\rightarrow\ldots[/tex]

But in reduced homology, [tex]\widetilde{H}_n(\mathbb{S}^0)=0[/tex] in all degree, so we conclude that [tex]\widetilde{H}_n(\mathbb{S}^1)=0[/tex] in all degrees.

But this is not so because [tex]\widetilde{H}_1(\mathbb{S}^1)=\mathbb{Z}[/tex].

So where am I mistaken in the above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi quasar987!

Remember that [tex]S^0[/tex] consists of two points (connected components), so its reduced 0-th homology is non-trivial.

But's isn't the reduced homology of a space equal to the the direct sum of the reduced homology of its connected components, so that [tex]\widetilde{H}_n(\mathbb{S}^0)=\widetilde{H}_n({-1})\oplus\widetilde{H}_n({1})=0\oplus 0=0[/tex]??

No, that is only true for unreduced homology (for reduced homology it's true if you take the wedge sum instead of the disjoint sum).
Unreduced homology is exactly like the reduced homology but with an additional Z summand in the degree 0 term. Since [tex]H_0(S^0)=\mathbb{Z}^2[/tex], one must have [tex]\widetilde{H}_0(S^0)=\mathbb{Z}[/tex].

Thanks a lot for point that out yyat. I had convinced myself that the formula [tex]H_*(X)=\bigoplus_{\alpha} H_*(X_{\alpha})[/tex] held for reduced homology as well. I am right in thinking it holds for relative homology though? Namely, [tex]H_*(X,A)=\bigoplus_{\alpha} H_*(X_{\alpha},X_{\alpha}\cap A)[/tex] ?

quasar987 said:
Thanks a lot for point that out yyat. I had convinced myself that the formula [tex]H_*(X)=\bigoplus_{\alpha} H_*(X_{\alpha})[/tex] held for reduced homology as well. I am right in thinking it holds for relative homology though? Namely, [tex]H_*(X,A)=\bigoplus_{\alpha} H_*(X_{\alpha},X_{\alpha}\cap A)[/tex] ?

Yes. It also follows from the relative Mayer-Vietoris sequence in the case of finite disjoint unions.

Related to Homology of spheres from the M-V sequence

What is the M-V sequence and how is it related to homology of spheres?

The M-V sequence, also known as the Milnor-Voevodsky sequence, is a long exact sequence of homology groups that is used to study the homology of spheres. It is derived from the Milnor fiber of a map between spheres and provides important information about the homology of spheres.

What is the significance of studying homology of spheres?

Studying the homology of spheres is important in topology and algebraic geometry. It helps us understand the structure of spaces and their invariants, and can be used to solve problems in other areas of mathematics such as knot theory and algebraic topology.

What is the relationship between the homology of spheres and the Poincaré conjecture?

The Poincaré conjecture, which was famously solved by Grigori Perelman in 2002, states that any simply connected, closed 3-manifold is homeomorphic to the 3-sphere. The proof of this conjecture relies heavily on the homology of spheres and the M-V sequence.

How does the M-V sequence help us understand the homology of spheres in higher dimensions?

The M-V sequence can be extended to higher dimensions, providing a powerful tool for studying the homology of spheres in any dimension. It allows us to compute the homology groups of spheres and understand their algebraic structure.

What other applications does the M-V sequence have besides studying homology of spheres?

The M-V sequence has many other applications in mathematics, including the study of singularities, knot theory, and algebraic geometry. It has also been used in physics, specifically in the study of quantum field theory and string theory.