Hooke's Law: A Beginner's Guide to Tensor Form and Matrix Form

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tensors in the context of solid state physics. The participants struggle to understand the relevance and application of tensors, particularly in regards to Hooke's Law and elastic stiffness constants. They also reference outside resources for further clarification on the topic.
sol66
Ok I wan't to start by saying I'm in a ridiculous solid state physics class where the stuff we are learning is either poorly explained by our textbook or even non-existent in the text. My teacher asked me the following question ... A single cube-shaped crystal of a simple cubic metal with face normals [100][010][001] has a value of the elastic stiffness constant c11 = cxx = 293 GPa. Write down the generalized form of Hooke's Law, in the tensor form and in the reduced index (matrix) form.

So I just want to say, outside of this class I've never seen a tensor in my life except in classical dynamics which made sense for rotations. We went over tensors for like 20 minutes, where the basic idea of a tensor was described as being an object that calls a particular value a number of times. I have a somewhat ok idea of what a tensor is, though never in my life have I ever had to use them. I have no idea what my teacher is talking about and I can't find good information on the web or in my horrid little Intro to solids Charles Kittel book.

Apparently hookes law is a fourth rank tensor and I have no freakin clue why that is.

Thanks for the replies

Physics news on Phys.org
Stiffness is represented by a fourth-rank tensor because it couples (relates) two second-rank tensors, stress and strain. And these are tensors because they each couple two vectors (aka first-rank tensors): the stress tensor relates a force vector to a vector representing the direction normal to an area, and the strain tensor relates an initial undeformed vector to the deformed version. Does this help?

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Introduction_to_Elasticity/Constitutive_relations" might be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Mapes. Thanks for the link. I was wondering if you could confirm for me a factor-of-two error in that article. Here is the equation sequence that I believe has the error:

[tex]\sigma_{ij}=\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial{\epsilon_{ij}}}=C_{ijkl}\ \epsilon_{kl}[/tex]

[tex]w=C_{ijkl}\ \epsilon_{ij}\ \epsilon_{kl}[/tex]

where C is the stiffness tensor, ε is the strain tensor, σ is the stress tensor, and w is the strain energy density. I would replace the last equation with:

[tex]w=\frac{1}{2}\ C_{mnkl}\ \epsilon_{mn}\ \epsilon_{kl}[/tex]

which leads to:

[tex]\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial\epsilon_{ij}}
=\frac{1}{2}\ C_{mnkl}\ \frac{\partial\left(\epsilon_{mn}\ \epsilon_{kl}\right)}{\partial\epsilon_{ij}}
=\frac{1}{2}\ C_{mnkl}\ \frac{\partial\epsilon_{mn}}{\partial\epsilon_{ij}}\ \epsilon_{kl}\ +\ \frac{1}{2}\ C_{mnkl}\ \epsilon_{mn}\ \frac{\partial\epsilon_{kl}}{\partial\epsilon_{ij}}
=\frac{1}{2}\ C_{ijkl}\ \epsilon_{kl}\ +\ \frac{1}{2}\ C_{mnij}\ \epsilon_{mn}[/tex]

and then using the symmetry of C and renaming the dummy indices mn → kl:

[tex]\frac{\partial{w}}{\partial\epsilon_{ij}}=C_{ijkl}\ \epsilon_{kl}[/tex]

Maybe I don't understand their notation.

Yep, looks like a missing 1/2 to me too.

turin,

Nothing is wrong with the final expression since [tex] C_{ijkl} = C_{klij} [/tex] due to symmetry. After summing on the indices from 1 to 3 the two terms end up being equal. Intuitively, it makes sense because the first derivative of energy wrt object-position gives the object-force or in this case the stress on a unit cell. Which is what you end up with.

modey3

Last edited:
sol66 said:
Ok I wan't to start by saying I'm in a ridiculous solid state physics class where the stuff we are learning is either poorly explained by our textbook or even non-existent in the text. My teacher asked me the following question ... A single cube-shaped crystal of a simple cubic metal with face normals [100][010][001] has a value of the elastic stiffness constant c11 = cxx = 293 GPa. Write down the generalized form of Hooke's Law, in the tensor form and in the reduced index (matrix) form.

So I just want to say, outside of this class I've never seen a tensor in my life except in classical dynamics which made sense for rotations. We went over tensors for like 20 minutes, where the basic idea of a tensor was described as being an object that calls a particular value a number of times. I have a somewhat ok idea of what a tensor is, though never in my life have I ever had to use them. I have no idea what my teacher is talking about and I can't find good information on the web or in my horrid little Intro to solids Charles Kittel book.

Apparently hookes law is a fourth rank tensor and I have no freakin clue why that is.

Thanks for the replies

sol66,

The best place to learn tensor applications in mechanics is by reading a continuum mechanics book. I recommend getting the Schaums Outline for continuum mechanics. That book has served me well in my graduate career.

modey3

Modey3 said:
turin,

Nothing is wrong with the final expression since [tex] C_{ijkl} = C_{klij} [/tex] due to symmetry. After summing on the indices from 1 to 3 the two terms end up being equal. Intuitively, it makes sense because the first derivative of energy wrt object-position gives the object-force or in this case the stress on a unit cell. Which is what you end up with.

modey3

Modey3, just to be clear, turin suggests that the "Wikiversity" equation [itex]\frac{1}{2}\bold{\epsilon C\epsilon}= C_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ij}\epsilon_{kl}[/itex] should be [itex]\frac{1}{2}\bold{\epsilon C\epsilon}= \frac{1}{2}C_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ij}\epsilon_{kl}[/itex]; is this what you're disagreeing with?

Mapes said:
Modey3, just to be clear, turin suggests that the "Wikiversity" equation [itex]\frac{1}{2}\bold{\epsilon C\epsilon}= C_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ij}\epsilon_{kl}[/itex] should be [itex]\frac{1}{2}\bold{\epsilon C\epsilon}= \frac{1}{2}C_{ijkl}\epsilon_{ij}\epsilon_{kl}[/itex]; is this what you're disagreeing with?

I'm not disagreeing with turin. The guy who wrote the Wiki forgot to add the 1/2.

modey3

Related to Hooke's Law: A Beginner's Guide to Tensor Form and Matrix Form

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic material and the resulting deformation or change in shape of the material. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of deformation, as long as the material remains within its elastic limit.

2. Who is Robert Hooke and why is this law named after him?

Robert Hooke was an English physicist and mathematician who first stated the principle of elasticity that is now known as Hooke's Law in 1660. His experiments and observations on the behavior of springs and other elastic materials led to the development of this law, which is now widely used in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What is the mathematical representation of Hooke's Law?

In its simplest form, Hooke's Law can be expressed as F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the material), and x is the amount of deformation. This equation is known as the tensor form of Hooke's Law.

4. What is the difference between tensor form and matrix form of Hooke's Law?

The tensor form of Hooke's Law represents the relationship between a single force and the resulting deformation in a one-dimensional system. On the other hand, the matrix form of Hooke's Law is used to represent the relationship between multiple forces and deformations in a multidimensional system. It involves a matrix of coefficients that relates the forces and deformations in different directions.

5. How is Hooke's Law used in practical applications?

Hooke's Law is widely used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science to predict the behavior of elastic materials under different forces. It is used to design and analyze structures like bridges and buildings, and to understand the properties of materials like metals, rubber, and plastics. It also helps in the development of new materials with specific elastic properties for various applications.