Hooke's Law/Poisson's Ratio and a bar

• Thread starter Autanimous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a round bar made of aluminum alloy 7075-T6 and the magnitude of the load P when the bar is stretched by axial forces. The conversation also mentions the material properties needed to solve the problem, including the modulus of elasticity and Poisson's ratio. The attempt at a solution involves using various equations and values to calculate the load P, but there is a discrepancy between the calculated answer and the expected answer. The problem is eventually solved after reviewing the material.
Autanimous

Homework Statement

A round bar of 10 mm diameter is made of
aluminum alloy 7075-T6 (see figure). When the bar is
stretched by axial forces P, its diameter decreases by
0.016 mm.
Find the magnitude of the load P. (Obtain the material
properties from Appendix H.)

From Appendix H:
Modulus of Elasticity (E) = 72 Gpa (Kn/mm^2)
Poisson's Ratio (v) = .33

Homework Equations

ε = axial strain
ε' = lateral strain
σ = axial stress
L = Length of bar
δ = change in length
A = Area

σ = E*ε
ε = δ/L
σ = P/A
v = ε' / ε

The Attempt at a Solution

A = pi*(10 mm )^2 = 314.159 mm^2
ε = (.016mm) ----------------that's right isn't it?
P = σ*A = ε*E*A = (.016mm)*(314.159 mm^2) * (72 Kn/mm^2)
= 361.911 Kn

However, the book says the answer is 27.4 Kn

I'm lost and sad ;-; Where am I going horribly horribly wrong? I figure it's the fact I'm not using the Poisson's ratio (as this section of homework was titled Hooke's Law and Poisson's ratio after a chapter in my book), however it didn't seem to come into play. This could stem from a mis-reading of one of my equations... however I've looked at them multiple times, so either my book is just confusing me or something else is wrong. Thank you for your help *bows*

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a more 'upper level' problem that should've been in the other section? I should get a chance to ask my teacher about it later today, though he won't be able to give me much time on the subject the way the schedules work out.

"its diameter decreases by
0.016 mm." is epsilon dash.
Now you can work out epsilon.

pongo38 said:
"its diameter decreases by
0.016 mm." is epsilon dash.
Now you can work out epsilon.

Yes, thanks. I'm sorry I never responded here but I did an overhaul reading of the material and I got it right. I for some reason continued to have a small power of ten problem, but otherwise the numbers matched up with what was expected.

It is for the very reason you described.

I would first check my equations and make sure they are correct. In this case, it seems like you may have mixed up the units for the Modulus of Elasticity. It should be in GPa (gigapascals) instead of Kn/mm^2. This changes the value for P to be 27.4 Kn, which matches the answer given in the book.

Another possibility is that the book is using a different definition for Poisson's ratio. Some sources define it as the negative ratio of lateral strain to axial strain, while others define it as the positive ratio. So it's important to make sure you are using the same definition as the book.

In general, when solving problems in science, it's important to double check your units and equations to make sure they are consistent and correct. It's also helpful to compare your answer to a known value or to the answer provided in the book to check for any mistakes. And if there are discrepancies, it's always good to ask for clarification or seek help from a teacher or tutor.

FAQ: Hooke's Law/Poisson's Ratio and a bar

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. How is Hooke's Law applied to a bar?

Hooke's Law can be applied to a bar by using it to calculate the stress and strain of the bar. The stress is the force exerted on the bar, and the strain is the resulting change in length of the bar. By plotting stress against strain, the slope of the resulting line will be the Young's modulus, which is a measure of the stiffness of the bar.

3. What is Poisson's Ratio?

Poisson's Ratio is a measure of the ratio of lateral strain to axial strain in a material. It is named after mathematician and physicist Siméon Poisson.

4. How is Poisson's Ratio related to Hooke's Law?

Poisson's Ratio is related to Hooke's Law because it is often used to characterize the elastic behavior of materials, which is the basis of Hooke's Law. Poisson's Ratio is also used to determine the amount of lateral strain a material will experience when it is compressed or stretched, which is a key component of Hooke's Law.

5. Can Hooke's Law and Poisson's Ratio be applied to all materials?

No, Hooke's Law and Poisson's Ratio are only applicable to materials that exhibit linear elastic behavior, meaning they return to their original shape after being subjected to stress. Materials such as rubber and plastic, which exhibit nonlinear behavior, cannot be described by Hooke's Law and Poisson's Ratio.